dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
29685164

My female friend is 66 years old and draws ssi survivor benefits.

Customer Question

My female friend is 66 years old and draws ssi survivor benefits. I (male) am 66 years old and draw ssdi. If we get married would we lose these benefits because we wouldn't be able to make ends meet with just one or the other benefit.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  dylatess replied 3 years ago.

Hello and and thank you for your question. For over 34 years, I have answered questions just like yours. And I look forward to assisting you.

NO you would not. Fortunately, as you are both over the age of 66, your benefits will continue without interruption. I wish you both well.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is there a maximum total combined benefit? I have been told that combined benefits couldn't be over a certain amount.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

didn't answer reply......

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  dylatess replied 3 years ago.

NO there is not. Note, each of you are drawing from different accounts based on either survivior benefits or your own earnings. So there is no maximum. And what you are fearing or hearing, is when a husband and wife are both collecting, and then one dies, the survivor only get the higher of the two benefits. But this is not the case in your situation if you marry.

PLEASE change your rating of my answer to ok or better. Otherwise, a "bad service" rating affects my ability to help others. Likewise, you have paid a deposit but I will not be compensated.