Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level

Dear Sir or MadamI need assistance for soc sec benefits:I need to chan

Dear Sir or Madam
I need assistance for soc sec benefits:
I need to change my name since the card was issued with an error and I have since dropped my ex husbands name. I also would like to receive a soc sec statement either on line or by mail. I have given up my green card and returned to Germany, but paid in long enough to qualify for benefits. I am planning ahead .....

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to help you better understand your options.

Thank you for your question, and thanks for using I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but in order to change the name on your social security card you will need to contat your local office in Germany, the information for which I have included below:

Federal Benefits Unit

American Consulate General
Giessener Strasse 30
60435 Frankfurt
Phone: 49-69-90555-1100
Fax: 49-69-749352
Email: [email protected]

You can get a social security statement online by creating an online is the web address to do that:

Hopefully this information will be enough to get you squared away. I'm sorry that I cannot provide more assistance to actually changing your name for you or providing you with a statement, but we do not work for social security and therefore cannot access your account. Please don't shoot the messenger, as we are penalized personally for any negative feedback. Negative feedback would penalize me for my honesty with you about the ability to change your name and get you a statement.

Please let me know if you need anything additional. Please take a moment to rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. Thanks again!

Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to help you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you in this matter. I really enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again when you come back to ask another question. Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question Thanks again for being a JustAnswer customer