dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice

A 66 year old married physician in great health & in the maximum

A 66 year old married physician in great health & in the maximum tax bracket, is wondering whether to take social security benefits at 66.5 yrs vs 70.5 years of age. If he decides to wait until 70.5 yrs of age & dies prior to reaching 70.5yrs of age, does his wife, who is 56 yrs old, collect his benefits for the remainder of her life.

Hello and and thank you for your question. For over 34 years, I have answered questions just like yours. And I look forward to assisting you.

Obviously you will max out your beneifs for life by waiting to take SS at age 70.5. However, if you were to pass, at any age, your wife beginning at age 62 would be enttitled to receive your SS benefits for her lifetime. Note, the only exception to having to wait until age 62 is if she is disabled. In that case, she can take as early as age 60.