Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

My husband and I are getting divorce after 23 years of marriage.

My husband and I are getting divorce after 23 years of marriage. I have never worked outside home during our marriage. I would like to find out the estimated Spousal Social Security eligibility.

MyVirtualCPA :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to help you better understand your options.

MyVirtualCPA :

How are you today?

MyVirtualCPA :

As you have been married for over 10 years, you will qualilfy for a divorced spouse benefit provided that you do not remarry

MyVirtualCPA :

Your benefit will be equal to 1/2 of your ex's benefit

MyVirtualCPA :

So, you would have to ask your husband what his projected benefit will be at full retirement age, and you will get 1/2 of that.

MyVirtualCPA :

Is there anything else that I can assist you with today?

MyVirtualCPA :

If not, please rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

JACUSTOMER-rfjhbkrd- :

My will-be x-husband is 60 years old now. When is his full retirement age considered since many people work over age 65 due to the type of his profession?

MyVirtualCPA :

Once he is 66 you will be eligible to draw his benefits, regardless of whether or not he is actually taking his benefit

JACUSTOMER-rfjhbkrd- :

That would be a very helpful financial resource to me. Thank you. That also applies to me even if he still continues to work after 66?

MyVirtualCPA :

Yes, that still applies to you even if he's still working at age 66

JACUSTOMER-rfjhbkrd- :

Just wanted to make sure.

MyVirtualCPA :

That's great. Glad I could help. Once you are satisfied with your answer, please rate as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

JACUSTOMER-rfjhbkrd- :

Yes. Thank you.

MyVirtualCPA :

You're welcome

MyVirtualCPA :

Thank you for your positive rating. Please come back and visit MyVirtualCPA for any of your tax needs. It was a pleasure working with you today.