LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

I am an american citizen, age 58. I am considering a job in

I am an american citizen, age 58. I am considering a job in Spain. I would like to maintain my social security tax payments made from Spain until retirement age. Can I do that?

Good morning Antonio,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Under the rules of Social Security, unless you earn income based on work done in the US----for example you have a business in the US which pays you income while you are living in Spain---then no social security tax is owing, and under the rules, you cannot make voluntary social security payments if no taxes are due.

The US has a Totalization Agreement with Spain that insures that you are taxed only by the country where you are employed and working---and so taking a job in Spain would not allow you to pay into Social Security while you are working there.
Here is a link to the countries that the US has such agreements with:

http://www.irs.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers/Totalization-Agreements

I wish you the best in 2013.

I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not particularly favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.

You may reply back to me using the Reply to Expert link if you have additional questions.

Kindly take a moment to rate my service to you based on the understanding of the law I provided. Please understand that I have no control over the how the law impacts your particular situation.

Thank you,

Doug

Thank you for your positive rating of my service, Antonio. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope than you will ask for me on JustAnswer should a future need ever arise.

Please feel free to bookmark the following link so you can request me to answer any future legal questions you may have:
http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-lawtalk/

Thanks again.

Doug

When you receive your Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please do rate me highly (9-10) there as well. It would be tremendously appreciated.