LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

Can my spouse draw my railroad retirement & her social security

Can my spouse draw my railroad retirement & her social security at age 60?

Good evening,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

While she may be able to draw a spouse benefit from the railroad at age 60, she may not draw a social security retirement benefit until at least age 62.

You may reply back to me again, using the Reply to Expert link, if you have additional questions.

I wish you the best in your future,

Doug

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So they won't adjust her SS (tier1) when she turns 60(later this year)? I ask because her SS is much larger than my tier 1. Will she have to apply for SS at age 62?

Good evening,

She is not entitled to any social security benefit until age 62 at the earliest. Her Tier 1 RRTA provides equivalent social security and Medicare benefits. If she is eligible for social security benefits because she worked at a job and paid social security taxes, she will be eligible for those benefits at age 62---not any earlier.

Doug

Thank you for your positive rating of my service. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope than you will ask for me on JustAnswer should a future need ever arise.

Please feel free to bookmark the following link so you can request me to answer any future legal questions you may have:
http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-lawtalk/

Thanks again.

Doug

When you receive your Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please do rate me highly (9-10) there as well. It would be tremendously appreciated.