Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
9968427

I am 77 years old. My husband passed away about 13 years ago.

I am 77 years old. My husband passed away about 13 years ago. I am drawing his social security. If I should get married, would I be able to keep the same amount I am now drawing on his Social Security or would it be cut in half? Thank you.
*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to answer your questions!

Your remarriage would not affect your Social Security benefits. Your Social Security benefits would continue at the same amount you are now drawing on your deceased husbands record. A remarriage after the age of 60 does not affect eligibility for survivor's benefits.

I would be glad to respond to any follow-up questions that you may have.