Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

Know a couple, both of whom have been professionals paying

Know a couple, both of whom have been professionals paying maximum Social Security benefits. Both would have benefits in the 2300 to 2500 range at full retirement age. Is there a maximum benefit for a married couple at 180% of the best benefit one of them would normally get, and they lose the rest of what they would otherwise be entitled to as separate individuals?

Ross Galloway [email protected]

MyVirtualCPA :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to help you better understand your options.

MyVirtualCPA :

Each of the professional people would be entitled to their own full benefit

MyVirtualCPA :

The family maximum is only per wage earner. If there are two wage earners in the family they are each entitled to their own maximum benefit

MyVirtualCPA :

So, for example if a man has a benefit of $1,000 and he has a wife and daughter, the family maximum on his earning record would be $1,500-$1,800

MyVirtualCPA :

However, if the man's wife also has her own benefit worth $1,000 they can draw $2,000 plus whatever benefit was available for the daughter

MyVirtualCPA :

Is there anything else I can help you with today?

MyVirtualCPA :

Have I provided you with "excellent service" today?

Customer:

Yes. Thanks. Good. Thought the max only applied to non-working dependents. Was correct. thank you. Have a good night.