Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I receive a pension from the UK 540 pounds a month paid into

Customer Question

I receive a pension from the UK 540 pounds a month paid into a bank in the UK. Will my social security be affected when i retire at age 65 next year? I worked in the UK from 16 to 35 and then paid voluntary contributions into the system. I have worked in US since 1986 and expect to receive around $1900 in social security benefits.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. Kindly use CONTINUE or REPLY button to ask for clarification or follow-up questions.

Question: I receive a pension from the UK 540 pounds a month paid into a bank in the UK. Will my social security be affected when i retire at age 65 next year? I worked in the UK from 16 to 35 and then paid voluntary contributions into the system. I have worked in US since 1986 and expect to receive around $1900 in social security benefits.

Response: Maybe. You may be subject to Windfall Elimination Provision ("WEP") and as a result, your U.S. Social Security benefits may be reduced. If your UK pension is based on your earnings, which appears to be the case here, it would affect your U.S. Social Security benefits if you did not have substantial earnings under U.S. Social Security system for 30 years or more, or if your UK pension is not based on your work earnings before 1957 For more information, click on the link below:

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/10045.html