Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I was married from 8/76 to 6/86 and wondered if I was able

I was married from 8/76 to 6/86 and wondered if I was able to collect on my divorced spouse's social security since it was in the 10th year of marriage?

MyVirtualCPA :

I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to help you better understand your options.

MyVirtualCPA :

How are you today

Customer:

I am fine thank you!

MyVirtualCPA :

I am sorry to report but you would need to be married 10 full years to draw social security off your divorced spouses record

MyVirtualCPA :

If you were not married the full 10 years then you would not be eligible for his benefits

MyVirtualCPA :

I am truly sorry

Customer:

Thank you for your quick response. I was afraid that was the answer. If I had only known back then I could have postponed the divorce for a few months.

MyVirtualCPA :

I am very sorry. Is there anythign else I can help you with today?

MyVirtualCPA :

If not, please rate my response "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Customer:

I have one more question!

MyVirtualCPA :

ok

Customer:

I retired from my full time job in November 2012. I was making over 100,000 dollars a year. I am 63 years old. My income is now reduced to about 40,000 a year since I am working part time. How will this affect the amount I receive from social security when I turn 66?

MyVirtualCPA :

Your benefits are based on your highest 35 years of earnings

MyVirtualCPA :

So, if you already have 35 years of earnings then there will be no impact

MyVirtualCPA :

unless your work now is one of your 'high years'

MyVirtualCPA :

If it does impact your benefits, it would be minimal. No more than $50 per month.

Customer:

I thought it was based on my last 5 years of service.Thank you so much for your help. You are great!

MyVirtualCPA :

Glad to help.