R. Klein, EA
R. Klein, EA, Accountant
Experience:  Tax & Social Security Benefits specialist

I am working at age 65 but I previously retired in February

I am working at age 65 but I previously retired in February of 2009 because of a heart attack. In April of 2010 I started receiving monthly checks from social security(I turned 62) I received what amounted to 9 checks because I went back to work in March of 2011. I have severe arthritis in both knees and need two knee replacements. I am a super for a construction company and because of the terrain and any stairs I have to go up or down it is very painful to my knees. I am planning to retire in August of this year(the job I am on is to finish in August I will retire when the job is completed) Because of the condition of my knees and a prior heart attack would it be better for me to apply for social security disability when I retire. I am being told that the monthly check for disability would be more money each month. Need your expert advice Bill

fastfile :

Bill, once you achieve full retirement age, any Social Security Disability no longer exists and you receive retirement benefits.

fastfile :

Disability benefits are only available if you are less than full retirement age AND you are unable to work due to a disability.

fastfile :

If you voluntarily quit work, you will be denied disability benefits anyway. In order to qualify for disability, you would need to go through a lengthy process to verify your disability, and by the time that happens, you would have likely reached full retirement age, thereby making the process mostly moot.

fastfile :

If you were to receive a disability benefit, when you hit full retirement age, the amount would be the same as if you had not received a disability benefit, and as stated earlier, would be called "retirement" benefits even if you were disabled.