How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask R. Klein, EA Your Own Question
R. Klein, EA
R. Klein, EA, Accountant
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 3374
Experience:  Tax & Social Security Benefits specialist
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
R. Klein, EA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am working at age 65 but I previously retired in February

This answer was rated:

I am working at age 65 but I previously retired in February of 2009 because of a heart attack. In April of 2010 I started receiving monthly checks from social security(I turned 62) I received what amounted to 9 checks because I went back to work in March of 2011. I have severe arthritis in both knees and need two knee replacements. I am a super for a construction company and because of the terrain and any stairs I have to go up or down it is very painful to my knees. I am planning to retire in August of this year(the job I am on is to finish in August I will retire when the job is completed) Because of the condition of my knees and a prior heart attack would it be better for me to apply for social security disability when I retire. I am being told that the monthly check for disability would be more money each month. Need your expert advice Bill

fastfile :

Bill, once you achieve full retirement age, any Social Security Disability no longer exists and you receive retirement benefits.

fastfile :

Disability benefits are only available if you are less than full retirement age AND you are unable to work due to a disability.

fastfile :

If you voluntarily quit work, you will be denied disability benefits anyway. In order to qualify for disability, you would need to go through a lengthy process to verify your disability, and by the time that happens, you would have likely reached full retirement age, thereby making the process mostly moot.

fastfile :

If you were to receive a disability benefit, when you hit full retirement age, the amount would be the same as if you had not received a disability benefit, and as stated earlier, would be called "retirement" benefits even if you were disabled.

R. Klein, EA and other Social Security Specialists are ready to help you

Related Social Security Questions