LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

how do I get my x s social security since he died in 2009.

Customer Question

how do I get my x 's social security since he died in 2009. and I need the extra money to live on.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 3 years ago.
Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

If you can provide the social security office with your divorce decree, and a copy of the death certificate for your ex-husband, and if you can also provide them with his social security number, they will be able to process your claim for survivor benefits.

The survivor benefit available to you will be the greater of your present benefit, or the amount of the benefit he was either eligible for, or was receiving, at the time of his death.

You may reply back to me using the Continue the Conversation or Reply to Expert link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you when our communication is completed.

I wish you the best in 2013,

Doug

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I live in Florida now and my husband died in Pa. 2009 I do have divorce papers, /but I never really new his social security No. And I don't have a copy of the death certicficate,but I know he die of heart diease and he died on march 9 2009 will that help you any .

Expert:  LawTalk replied 3 years ago.
Good afternoon,

You will have to order a copy of the death certificate from the state where he died. You can order the death certificate from this site by phone or by mail:

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/community/death_certificates/

As for his social security number, if you ever file joint tax returns, it will be there on the copies of your returns. However, if you can get the death certificate and the divorce records, the social security office can probably track down his number as well.

You may reply back to me again, using the Reply to Expert link, if you have additional questions.

I wish you the best in your future,

Doug