LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

I filed for social security retirement effective 1/1/13. When

I filed for social security retirement effective 1/1/13. When will I get my first check?
Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion.

Social Security benefits are always paid 1 month in arrears---meaning that if you asked to start your benefits effective Jan. 1, 2013, then your first payment will be in February 2013 for January.

The date you will get the payment each month depends on the date of the month you were born on. Here is the 2013 payment schedule for social security:

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/calendar2013.pdf

You may reply back to me again, using the Reply to Expert link, if you have additional questions.

Until you rate me highly for my service, I will not be credited with helping you. Would you please rate me now, based on my assistance to you in understanding the law.

I wish you the best in 2012,

Doug