Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level

I am retiring CSRS. I do not qualify for Social Security. My

I am retiring CSRS. I do not qualify for Social Security. My spouse died 2 years ago and he
has Social Security will I get it or will it be affected by my CSRS pension?
Thank you for your question. I am sorry about your loss Once you are full retirement age you can work and collect social security without a benefit reduction.

Your survivors benefit will be reduced by 2/3 the amount of your csrs pension. If the benefit is less than 2/3 that amount then you won't receive a benefit

I suggest applying and seeing what happens. The worst case scenario is you won't receive anything.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I will be 66 at retirement next year. I will not be working, will my CSRS pension

affect or reduce the amount I get from my deceased spouses social security under the windfall elimination provisions which CSRS retirees are subject?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
How does windfall elimination affect the social security payment I will receive from my spouse's
account? Any reduction of the survivor benefits?
You are not subject to the Windfall Elimination Provision for a spousal benefit, but you are subject to the Government Pension Offset provision. This will reduce your benefit by 2/3 the amount of your government pension.

For example, if you had a survivor's benefit of $1,000 and you had a CSRS pension of $1,000 you would reduce your survivor's benefit by $667 and you would get $333 for your social security payment instead of $1,000. I hope that makes sense.

If 2/3 your pension is more than your survivor's benefit then you will not receive a social security benefit.

** Please take a moment to rate my response as "Excellent" so that I may be compensated for assisting you today. Please let me know if my assistance was anything less than "OK Service", as I am compensated based on whether or not I have assisted you with your issue. If you need further clarifications, PLEASE WAIT TO RATE MY ANSWER UNTIL AFTER RECEIVING FOLLOW UP FROM ME. If I receive anything less than OK Service, I do not get paid, but the Web site will still collect your payment. Thank you for your kind understanding in this matter. If you have difficulties rating, then simply respond stating that you are having difficulties rating and thank me for my excellent, good, or ok service and we can get the rating applied by the site**
Thank you for the positive rating. Please remember me the next time you have a financial question. Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question, and it will be routed directly to me. Thank you again for using JustAnswer