Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I am divorced. but was married to my ex-husband for 29 years.

I am divorced. but was married to my ex-husband for 29 years. I was a homemaker. I get an alimoney that will end in a year. I was told I could draw on my ex-husbands social security. Would I still be able to do so, if I remarry ? I am 59 years old.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Megan C replied 2 years ago.
I realize you have a question about social security. My goal is to help you better understand your options.

Thank you for your question. If your ex spouse is still alive, then you cannot draw benefits off his record when you remarry.

However, if you wait until age 60 to get married, and then your ex spouse dies, then you would be eligible for a survivor's benefit based on his record. If his earnings were substantially larger than yours or your future husband's, then it might be worth it to wait until you are 60 in the event your ex spouse passes before you do.

SOURCE

** Please take a moment to rate my response as "Excellent" so that I may be compensated for assisting you today. Please let me know if my assistance was anything less than "OK Service", as I am compensated based on whether or not I have assisted you with your issue. If you need further clarifications, PLEASE WAIT TO XXXXX ANSWER UNTIL AFTER RECEIVING FOLLOW UP FROM ME. If I receive anything less than OK Service, I do not get paid, but the Web site will still collect your payment. Thank you for your kind understanding in this matter. If you have difficulties rating, then simply respond stating that you are having difficulties rating and thank me for my excellent, good, or ok service and we can get the rating applied by the site**
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Do I get ss from my alimony that I recieved ? I have not worked outside the home. My ex husband was self employed and I just helped him.

Expert:  Megan C replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your follow up. The answer is no, you don't get social security from your alimony. You only get social security through earned income, such as income from a job. Theoretically your ex should have paid you a wage when you helped him. If he did, then your benefit will be based on those earnings, however alimony will not create a social security benefit.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. XXXXX remarry after I am 60 and my then husband passes away, can I draw on his ss, if I am not drawing on my ex husbands ( in the event of his death) ?
Expert:  Megan C replied 2 years ago.
When you and your future husband get married, you can draw a benefit equal to 50% of his benefit as a spousal benefit while he is alive. This is beneficial to you if 1/2 his social security is greater than your own benefit.

You can draw your then husband, or your ex husband's, survivors benefits if they are both passed - whichever is higher.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

If I do not remarry, at what age would I be able to draw on my ex husbands SS ?

Expert:  Megan C replied 2 years ago.
If he is still alive, the earliest you can draw a full benefit (full 50% of his benefit) is at age 66. You can draw a reduced benefit starting at age 62.

If he has passed on, then you can draw social security starting at age 60 for a reduced benefit.

Experience: Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
Expert:  Megan C replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the positive rating. Please remember me the next time you have a financial question. Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question, and it will be routed directly to me. Thank you again for using JustAnswer
Expert:  Megan C replied 2 years ago.