JudgeLaw
JudgeLaw, Tax Attorney
Experience:  Attorney
17897874

I am a widow,59 years old.I am still working. What widows

I am a widow,59 years old.I am still working. What widow's benefit can I apply for?
The benefit amount is based on the earnings of the person who died. The more the worker paid into Social Security, the greater your benefits will be.

Social Security uses the deceased worker’s basic benefit amount and calculates what percentage survivors are entitled to. The percentage depends on the survivors’ ages and relationship to the worker. If the person who died was receiving reduced benefits, your survivor’s benefit is based on that amount. Here are the most typical situations:
A widow or widower, at full retirement age or older, generally receives 100 percent of the worker’s basic benefit amount;
A widow or widower, age 60 or older, but under full retirement age, receives about 71-99 percent of the worker’s basic benefit amount; or
A widow or widower, any age, with a child younger than age 16, receives 75 percent of the worker’s benefit amount.