dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
29685164

if I get a divorce, what percentage of my husbands (he is 70)

if I get a divorce, what percentage of my husbands (he is 70) social security can I receive if I am working and earn $100,000?

Shawn P. Adamo :

Hello. My specialty is focusing on YOUR Financial needs. Financial Planner/Business Owner for 20 years. CPA,PFS,QFP,GMMA.

That depends on YOUR age.

JACUSTOMER-lrc4r8ct- :

my age is 64

JACUSTOMER-lrc4r8ct- :

sorry, 65 when it is final

ShawnA, SS Expert, CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS , Decades of experience helping clients..
Experience: SS Expert, CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS I have decades of experience helping clients..
Hello and and thank you for your question. For over 34 years, I have answered questions just like yours. And I look forward to assisting you.

If you were married for ten years or more, and do not remarry before age 60, you are entitled to one half of what are your husband's benefits. This is known as your former spousal benefit. However, that amount is offset if you are still working and under age 66. Specifically, until you are 66, there is an earnings cap as to how much you can earn and collect SS. And that limit is approximately $14000 per year. So in your case, your income would wipe out your former spousal benefit.

dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience: 37 plus years of SSD practice