JudgeLaw, Tax Attorney
Experience:  Attorney

I am the legal guardian of my granddaughter. she is 15. Is

I am the legal guardian of my granddaughter. she is 15. Is she entitled to benefits under my social security?
Guardianship alone will not make the child eligible for Social Security dependents benefits based on your work record. In order for a (non-disabled) grandchild to be eligible for Social Security dependents benefits -- which would be paid as part of your retirement benefits the following factors must be present:

the grandchild must live with and actually be cared for by the worker on whose record the payment are to be made (in this case, you), and
the grandchild's parents must be deceased or disabled.
The other way the grandchild could qualify for Social Security dependents benefits, based on your work record, is if you formally adopts the child.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
If I do adopt my granddaughter what kind of health insurance would she be able to get? would she have to have a private health insurance
Unless she has some sort of disability which would qualify her for medicare, she would need private health insurance.