Shawn P. Adamo
Shawn P. Adamo, Retired CPA
Experience:  Retired CPA
15641319

my wife of 61 years passed on April 30, 2011. Her SS check

my wife of 61 years passed on April 30, 2011. Her SS check was directly deposited to Wells Fargo Bank. The bank took back an amount equal to her April and May checks
which I had used for nurses and help with final expenses. A letter I got from SS said
that the check you get about he 3rd of the month is for payment of the previous month
entitlement. Since she passed on the last day of the month, was she entitled to her
April benefit which was paid May 3rd and also entitled to the check recieved April 3
which paid her March benefit? Or is this just another rip-off by the big banks? Is this
a common practice which should be stopped and rectified?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Shawn P. Adamo replied 2 years ago.

Shawn P. Adamo :

Hello. My specialty is focusing on YOUR Financial needs. Financial Planner/Business Owner for 20 years. CPA,PFS,QFP,GMMA.

Clearly she was entitled to the April 3rd check that was for March.

Shawn P. Adamo :

Social Security benefits are not payable for the month in which a beneficiary dies. This applies whether the person dies on the first or the last day of the month. This provision has been in the law since 1939 and can be changed only by an amendment to the Social Security Act. The legislative history of this provision does not show why benefits are not payable for the month of death. However, the provision complements the provision of the law that allows us to pay survivors benefits for the entire month of death.

Shawn P. Adamo :

Therefore the payment on May 3rd for the Month of April is "not earned" and should have been returned.

Shawn P. Adamo :

Now that I have taken care of your questions please allow me to express my condolences.

Shawn P. Adamo :

I'm sorry to hear of your wife's passing. I know this can be a tough and lonely time.

Hopefully she did not suffer. Try to remember that she's ok. it's you that is feeling the pain of her loss.

Hang in there.

Shawn P. Adamo :

Have I answered your question to your satisfaction?

Customer:
Shawn P. Adamo :

I see you have taken the time to join me in this chat so I'll wait here .

Shawn P. Adamo :

?

Shawn P. Adamo, Retired CPA
Experience: Retired CPA