How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask CGCPA Your Own Question

Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 3809
Experience:  My experience over the years has involved Social Security,
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
CGCPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I replace a lost Form SSA-1099?

Customer Question

How do I replace a lost Form SSA-1099?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  CGCPA replied 3 years ago.

A replacement SSA-1099 can be obtained from the Social Security Administration per the instructions they provide:


Social Security logo

Request an SSA-1099/1042S for Tax Information


You can request a copy of your most recent SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S using the buttons at the bottom of this page.

What is an SSA-1099/1042S Social Security Benefit Statement?

  • An SSA-1099 is mailed to you in January showing the total amount of benefits you received in the previous year. If you are a nonresident alien who received or repaid Social Security benefits last year, you will receive an SSA-1042S instead.

What You Should Know

  • If you need a replacement SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S for an earlier tax year, contact us.
  • You can request an SSA-1099/1042S for yourself or on behalf of a deceased beneficiary if you are receiving benefits on the same record as the deceased.
  • For security reasons, there is a 30 minute time limit to complete each page. We will warn you when you run out of time. You can get more time to finish.

What to Expect

  • A copy of your SSA-1099/1042S will arrive in the mail in about 10 days (30 days if you live outside the United States). If you need it sooner, contact your local Social Security Office.
  • The SSA-1099/1042S will be mailed to the address on file at Social Security.

If You Have Moved

  • If you have moved, you mustreport your change of address to us before we can process your request.
  • If you recently reported a change of address to SSA, you need to contact us to make your request.

For More Information

For more information on taxation of Social Security Benefits, or to order the publication "Tax information for Older Americans" (Publication #554), call the IRS at(NNN) NNN-NNNNor visit the IRS Web site.


Special Instructions for People Who are Blind

Block Access to Your Personal Information

If you want to prevent online and automated telephone access to your personal information, you can block access to your personal information.

What Do You Want to Do?

The web page itself can be accessed at the following link. It has a button to order your replacement form:



Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 3809
Experience: My experience over the years has involved Social Security,
CGCPA and other Social Security Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I don't see any buttons at the bottom of the page other than those asking me to assess the answer.
Expert:  CGCPA replied 3 years ago.

Click on the link to the page provided in my earlier reply. The buttons do not copy over. I provided the text so you would be familiar with the page. Here is the link again.


Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I already noted that I found the buttons on the page before I received your answer. I accepted the first reply at that point and agreed to pay. I don't want to pay an additional amount. Thanks forthe help.
Expert:  CGCPA replied 3 years ago.
It is not an issue with me. I just wanted to be sure you were able to access the information to remedy the concern. Please do not click accept again. Then you will not be charged again.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • dylatess



    Satisfied Customers:

    37 plus years of SSD practice
< Last | Next >
  • dylatess's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    37 plus years of SSD practice
  • LawTalk's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA


    Satisfied Customers:

    Tax & Social Security Benefits specialist
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed in multiple jurisdictions, experienced business attorney.
  • Wendy Reed's Avatar

    Wendy Reed

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    15+ years assisting tax clients with taxation and eligibility of Social Security Benefits.
  • Arthur Rubin's Avatar

    Arthur Rubin

    Tax Preparer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 years experience in tax preparation, including some multi-national Social Security applications.
  • MequonCPA's Avatar


    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    CPA w/Masters in Tax. 30+ years experience.

Related Social Security Questions