dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice

why did my medicare number change to my deceased husbands

why did my medicare number change to my deceased husband's ss number with a "D" after it? I receive no ss benefits from him or me. Medicare now says they have no record of my previous number.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  dylatess replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to the confusing world of Medicare and SS. Note, as you know, Medicare is mandatory. Likewise, we are indentified by our SS number or a spouse's number if that spouse has passed away. So that explains the "D" for deceased after the number. And even though you had your SS number on your Medicare card, and have your own benefits, for Medicare's own reasons which are not always logical, and in your case certainly not logical, the numbers are switiched. Likewise, it does not effect your benefits if you were to require hospitalization. I hope I have not further confused you. the short answer is that Medicare beats to their own drum and you will get blue in the face trying to reverse what was done.

I wish you well. Because I help people like you here, for a living---this is not a hobby for me---I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX abiding by the honor system with regard to Accepting answers, by Clicking your ACCEPT button now. Otherwise I do not get paid anything at all. BONUS and POSITIVE FEEDBACK are also appreciated An Accept also assures that I can assist you again. I wish you the best in your future.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK, that is sort of what they said, but I just wanted a second opinion. Welcome to the government! I am a Democrat...
Expert:  dylatess replied 4 years ago.
You are welcome,