dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice

I turn 66 in May 2013 when can my payments start? I heard

I turn 66 in May 2013 when can my payments start? I heard they start or can start in my 66th calendar year which is January 2013. is that true?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  dylatess replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your question. Note you can sign up for SS as early as 90 days before your 66th birthday and that way your mayments will start in May. Note, you can apply on line at or can call the SSA a 1800-772-1213. Happy early birthday.

I wish you well. Because I help people like you here, for a living---this is not a hobby for me---I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX abiding by the honor system with regard to Accepting answers, by Clicking your ACCEPT button now. Otherwise I do not get paid anything at all. BONUS and POSITIVE FEEDBACK are also appreciated An Accept also assures that I can assist you again. I wish you the best in your future.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
so I wont be able to receive benefits starting in January of the year i turn 66 even though my birthday is XXXXX middle May? and I didnt know I will get docked if I work...who cant make 14 500 a year> that part I didnt know.
Expert:  dylatess replied 4 years ago.
You can start before you are 66 BUT, as age 66 is what is known as full retirement age, by taking earlier benefits your benefit will be reduced by 10% than if you wait until you are 66. But it is your birthday and not your birthday year that matters. Finally, though it sounds absurd, your benefits are further reduced if you make more than $14160 within the year after you start collecting SS.
Please be so kind as to click the GREEN accept button as I do not get paid unless you accept. Thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

your answer is really incorrect. you can get almost full benefits beginning in the year you will achieve full retirement age.... I can collect 1900 a month for four months which is almost 8 thousand dollars. I will continue to collect 1900 at full retirement even though had I waited I would have received 2000 a month so I am docked 100 a month until I die but I get 7600 to off set that .....there is also the issue of reduction for earnings but that is also a choice..... I think your answer was really wrong and what I am talking about is on the SS web site I had just missed it.

Expert:  dylatess replied 4 years ago.
I will review the web site.