dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice

I was born 02/02/1948. At what age am I eligible to draw my

I was born 02/02/1948. At what age am I eligible to draw my full social security benefit and medicare?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  dylatess replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for youfr question. note, you will reach full retirement age at age 66. That means you can retire at age 66 without taking an early SS retirement penalty. Note at age 62, for example, the penalty is 30%. Likewise, if you retire at 66 and still work, and earn more than $14,160 for the year, your SS checks are reduced by one dollar for every two dollars you earn in excess of $14160. However, at age 67, there is no longer an earnings cap. Hope this helps explain what is a very confusing area of the law. I wish you well.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Does that also mea I cannot get on medicare until I am 67?
Expert:  dylatess replied 4 years ago.
NO at age 65, you can get Medicare by simply applying and you do not need to begin taking your SS retirement benefits to be eligible for Medicare.