Wendy Reed
Wendy Reed, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  15+ years assisting tax clients with taxation and eligibility of Social Security Benefits.
753989

Should I have taxes taken out of my check.

Customer Question

Category: Social Security
Expert:  dylatess replied 5 years ago.
The withholding of taxes is not an option. that is, even if you are receiving SS benefits, an employer is required to withhold taxes. thanks for your question.

Best regards XXXXX XXXXX am glad  to help.  Please be so kind as to click the GREEN accept button as I do not get paid for my assistance unless you accept.   A bonus and and positive feedback are also appreciated.  An ACCEPT also assures that I can assist you again.  I wish you the best in the future.  Thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Maybe I did not clarify myself. Should I have taxes taken out of my social security check?
Expert:  Wendy Reed replied 5 years ago.

If you are working full time and collecting social security at the same time, I would definitely recommend having federal taxes withheld from your SS check. This is the form that you can use to have tax withheld: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw4v.pdf

You have an option of 7%, 10%, 15% or 25%. If you can handle it, I would recommend 25% for the first year that you collect SS. Better to overestimat than owe.

I can help you estimate a tax liability if you need, but I would need more information. Let me know if you would like that.

Wendy Reed, Enrolled Agent
Experience: 15+ years assisting tax clients with taxation and eligibility of Social Security Benefits.