dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
29685164

can a wife get half of her husbands social security amount

can a wife get half of her husband's social security amount if he is 65 but is waiting until 66 to file for social security or does he have to be drawing social security for her to do so.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  dylatess replied 5 years ago.
Your thinking is correct. He has to be collecting for you to begin to receive your benefits. Best regards XXXXX XXXXX am glad  to help.  Please be so kind as to click the GREEN accept button as I do not get paid for my assistance unless you accept.   A bonus and and positive feedback are also appreciated.  An ACCEPT also assures that I can assist you again.  I wish you the best in the future.  Thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

i was told that he could start collecting, i could then start drawing based on his and he could then stop drawing, waiting until he's 66 but i could continue to draw based on his. is this correct? thanks

Expert:  dylatess replied 5 years ago.
That is correct. But again, he has to start collecting before you can collect. Best regards. Best regards XXXXX XXXXX am glad  to help.  Please be so kind as to click the GREEN accept button as I do not get paid for my assistance unless you accept.   A bonus and and positive feedback are also appreciated.  An ACCEPT also assures that I can assist you again.  I wish you the best in the future.  Thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
what affect does my starting to draw social security and then stopping to start again when i turn 66 have on the amount i would draw at 66 or would i have to repay what i drew. for example, if i drew $1100 a month for a couple of months now and i would have drawn 1200 a month if i waited to age 66 to start, would i still draw 1200 when i start to draw at 66?
Expert:  dylatess replied 5 years ago.
You would draw the higher amount when you begin receiving benefits again. Likewise, when you suspend, you must pay back everything that you have received.

Because I help people like you here, for a living---this is not a hobby for me---I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX abiding by the honor system with regard to Accepting answers, by Clicking your ACCEPT button now. Otherwise I do not get paid anything at all. BONUS and POSITIVE FEEDBACK are also appreciated An Accept also assures that I can assist you again. I wish you the best in your future.