Wendy Reed
Wendy Reed, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  15+ years assisting tax clients with taxation and eligibility of Social Security Benefits.

I am 65 and just got laid off from work. I will be 66 in April

I am 65 and just got laid off from work. I will be 66 in April 2012. If I start drawing Social Secuirity starting in November, then get offered a casual position with a company (less than 20 hours a week), what are my salary limitations before social secuirty is affected? I understand that after I turn 66 there are no limitations (is that correct?).
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Wendy Reed replied 5 years ago.

Since your full retirement age is 66, your benefits will be slightly reduced if you start drawing at age 65, see:

Also, you are correct that there is an earnings limitation before full retirement age. If you earn more than 14160, you have to pay back $1 for every $2 you earn over this amount. However, there is a special rule for the first year you retire, and that is you can still get your SS benefit for any month where your earnings are under $1180.

In the year 2012, since you will turn 66, the earnings limit is $37680, and you would pay pack $1 for every $3 you made over this amount. Not likely you will do this with a part time job from Jan-April (when the earnings limit is inplay) so it may not affect you adversely for 2012.

Here is a link that will describe everything in detail, and it gives good examples. And you are correct that after age 66 there is no earnings limit for you!

Please let me know if I can assist you further.