dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  36 plus years of SSD practice
29685164

what is the age for someone born in 1947 and someone born in

what is the age for someone born in 1947 and someone born in 1950 to receive full s.s. benefits, and at what age can each of them make as much money as they want, without affecting their s.s. benefits? thank you!
Category: Social Security
Expert:  dylatess replied 3 years ago.
For both persons born in 1947 and 1950, the full retirment age is 66. Therefore, the earnings limit cap applies to benefits received from the SSA prior to reaching your full retirement age. Likewise, once you reach your full retirement age, the earnings cap is no longer an issue.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

please let get this straight before i accept. i was told it was 66 and one half, not 66, and please make it more clear if at this age we can make as much money every year as we want without affecting our s.s.benifits, or paying taxes over my estimate of 14,000- pr yr. or lessing my mo. s.s benifits. your answer is not clear enoug for me to understand. thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i am sorry, for me, born in 1950, i was told it was 67 and one half yrs, but i do not know for my husband born in 1947. please answer my second question for both before i agree to pau. thank you.
Expert:  dylatess replied 3 years ago.
See below the chart produced by the SSA. As you can see, it is at age 66. Further, after reaching age 66, there is no longer an income limitation. So the $14800 per year does not apply. Therefore if you do exceed this amount, the two dollar for every one dollar rule does not apply. Finally, you asked about taxes which was not in your original question. Regardless, income from sources other than from SS are still subject to taxation. Hope this clarifies things.

Age To Receive Full Social Security Benefits

(Called "full retirement age" or "normal retirement age.")

Note: If you qualify for benefits as a Survivor, your full retirement age may be different.

Year of Birth* Full Retirement Age
1937 or earlier 65
1938 65 and 2 months
1939 65 and 4 months
1940 65 and 6 months
1941 65 and 8 months
1942 65 and 10 months
1943--1954 66
1955 66 and 2 months
1956 66 and 4 months
1957 66 and 6 months
1958 66 and 8 months
1959 66 and 10 months
1960 and later 67

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i am sorry, but if this is correct that me and my husband will receive full benefits ar 66, why is the report i get quartley says 67 and one half yrs. old and i thought it was age 70m before we can receive our full s.s. benifits and still make as much pr year before we will be taxed or lessen our s.s. benifits. this is different what they say in my quartley news letter from s.s
Expert:  dylatess replied 3 years ago.
What I attached came directly off the SSA web site.

Here is the link: http://www.ssa.gov/retire2/retirechart.htm

And this is the same information that I have been providing as advice to my clients when I am asked the same question.
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience: 36 plus years of SSD practice
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i see you are right about our age from the website u sent as 66, but i still don't understand at what age we can receive full benifts, make as much money each yr as we want and our s.s. benifits will not be effected and we won't have to pay taxes on the amount. we make over 14, 800. what is the exact age for us to make all we want, with no taxes and less ss. benifits? i am sorry i am having this hard time to understand/
Expert:  dylatess replied 3 years ago.
As I said before, once you reach full retirement age, which in your case is 66, you are no longer effected by the earnings cap. So, at age 66, you can earn as much as you can in addition to what you receive from SS and your SS check will not decrease. However, as there is always a however, your income which does not come from SS, is subject to taxes. Therefore, if you earned $75000 from wages after age 66, you still pay taxes on the $75000 income but NOT on the SS income.