dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  36 plus years of SSD practice
29685164

My husband receives social security benefits of $1600 per month

My husband receives social security benefits of $1600 per month and has for over ten years. I am 66 now. I read that I could receive half his benefit now and collect my full benefit at 70. Does that mean he will receive only half his benefit ( 800) and I will receive the other half if I choose this option? Or does it mean he will receive his full $1600 and I will receive $800 until age 70 and then I will receive my full benefit that I earned on my own record? Thank you for being there!! Jean Lerner, Houston, TX.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  dylatess replied 3 years ago.
I have good news. You are entitled to your spual benefit which is one half of what your husband gets. And he still collects his full benefit. And at 70 you will get your full benefit if this is larger than the one half you will now get. So this is very good. Glad to help.  Please be so kind as to click the GREEN accept button as I do not get paid for my assistance unless you accept.   A bonus and and positive feedback are also appreciated.  An ACCEPT also assures that I can assist you again.  I wish you the best in the future.  Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This sound too good to be true. Let's use some real numbers. Currently, my husband receives $1,623.40/mo
I will soon be 66. I have not drawn any benefits yet. S.S estimates that ar age 70 my benefit will be approx. 1,830.00/mo. As I understand your comments this is what happens: (1) I can elect to receive $811.50/mo. (this is 50% of my husband's benefit) starting now, until I reach 70; (2) my husband continues to receive his $1,623.40/mo.; (3)
there is no change in my husband's benefit; and (4) at age 70 I receive my full benefit of
1,830.00/mo.
Please verify if this reasoning is correct?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Are there any limitations to my income should I chose to work until 70 while collecting the benefit of half the amount of my husband's income?
Expert:  dylatess replied 3 years ago.
Your reasoning is one hundred percent correct. Note, yiou are entitled to your spousal benefit unless, concurrently you applied for your benefit. If you did, since your benefit would be more than your spousal benefit, you would receive the larger benefit which is not the spousal beneit. Likewise, deferring to take your benefit until later, you can transition to your full benefit. But of couse at that time you would lose your spousal benefit. Note, most of the time when I give advice, the answer is typically not the answer the customer wants to here. Regardless I am obligated to report the law . And it your case, as yiu have two earnings benefits, your strategy works great for you. Best regards. Glad to help.  Please be so kind as to click the GREEN accept button as I do not get paid for my assistance unless you accept.   A bonus and and positive feedback are also appreciated.  An ACCEPT also assures that I can assist you again.  I wish you the best in the future.  Thanks.
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience: 36 plus years of SSD practice