Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
9968427

What happens if I inherit a house while I am on social security

Customer Question

What happen's if I inherit a house while I am on social security disability. I already have my own home. Can I lease it to a family member just enough to cover taxes and insurance on the house? How does it affect my health benefit's? and my monthly check? Is the monthly lease considered earned income?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Ellen replied 5 years ago.

Customer:

Welcome!

I am an attorney with 25+ years of legal experience and am working diligently on your answer while I await your response.

Please tell me:
Do you have Social Security Disability or SSI?

Thanks!

Expert:  Ellen replied 5 years ago.
Welcome!

Please tell me:

Thanks!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I believe it is Social Security DBL . It is permanent DBL from the goverment? That is what I tell DR"s and other people when I am asked. I live in NY if that matter's allso
Expert:  Ellen replied 5 years ago.

Thank you. I will strive to provide you with legal information to assist you. If my answer is not clear to you, I encourage you to ask me for clarification by using the reply button.

SSI benefits are need-based. If you are receiving SSI benefits and you inherit an asset worth more than $2000, your benefits would be terminated.

Alternatively, SSDI benefits are not need-based. If you receive SSDI, because he have worked and then became disabled, the inheritance would have no effect