Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

Can I collect social security on my living husbands benefit

Customer Question

Can I collect social security on my living husbands benefit? I am 66 and he is 69. Both of us are still workinh and receive over $250/yr. I have signed up starting April 2011 and will receive my first check in one week. My friend said it was better to wait and to receive benefits from my husbands account until I reach 70. Should I stop my SSI?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  dylatess replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your question. The spousal benefit you are referring to would apply if you had not worked. But since there are two SS accounts, yours and your husband's, he can collect on his and you can collect on yours once you apply. of course, by waiting until you are older would result in a larger monthly amount, but most financial planners advise against doing so. note, since you are eligible now, you can start the process by calling 1-800-772-1213 which is the phone # XXXXX the SSA or doing it on line at ssa.gov. Glad to help. Please be so kind as to click the green accept button as I do not receive any compensation unless you accept. Best regards.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
If I had not applied would I be able to collect on his even if I had worked or am still workng?
Expert:  dylatess replied 3 years ago.
It does get confusing. But here goes. If you are at least 62, and your husband is getting SS retirement benefits, and you are married at least one year, you can collect one half of his benefits and he still gets his. Further, when you begin collecting under your account, you would collect your benefits less what you collect from your husband's account. Glad to help. Please be so kind as to click the green ACCEPT button. Thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am somewhat confused since I applied last month and will be receiving my first check in one week. Should I cancel my own social security now and restart it when I'm 70? He collects approx 2300/mo and I would be collecting 1617 next week. I think time is of the essense since I will be getting my first check in less than a week.. If I can cancel, I would then receive half of his now and still get my full amount at age 70?
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 3 years ago.

If you were to take 1/2 of his PIA, and if his PIA is 2300, that may be about 1150. This is in comparison to taking your own 1617. I am not an accountant, so won't speculate on the final result, but what I suggest is sitting down in an SSA appointment at your local office and having them run the numbers. Which is more lucrative, taking less now (nearly $500/mo) and for the next 4 years, (not being a mathematician, I'm thinking, $500*48 months is $24,000 less than if you take on your own, during the next 4 years) -- so that you can take up to X% more on your own record later?

I'd sit down with them to learn exactly how much I'd be getting in 4 years on my own record, vs. now, and do the math. (You also want to know what your benefit will be based on the added fact that you will also be working, possibly, for some or all of these 4 years, if that is what you plan to do.) But also consider (this may sound morbid), your health and expected longevity, when figuring out the math, and the break even date if you do decide to take less now to take more later.

Good luck. I'd make that appointment with them as soon as possible.

Because I help people like you here, for a living---this is not a hobby for me---I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX abiding by the honor system with regard to Accepting answers, by Clicking your ACCEPT button now. Feel free to follow up after, if you need clarification. An Accept also assures that I can assist you again. A BONUS is a wonderful way to tell the expert her time and effort are appreciated. I wish you the best in your future.
Experience: 19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.