Vinod Menon, Customer Service
Experience:  Experience in supporting and using smartphones.
51110040

Have a motororal E phone recently upgraded to 5.1 the

Customer Question

Have a motororal E phone recently upgraded to 5.1 the speaker stopped working
JA: How old is the phone?
Customer: about 1 1/2 years
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Factory reset (several times). Problem started today
JA: Anything else you want the smartphone expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Smartphones
Expert:  Russell H. replied 3 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Please describe all that you can about how the phone is now behaving, and whether there was a sudden cessation of the speaker working, and whether anything that you can think of, with careful recollection, happened about at the time or before the speaker stopped working - such as the phone getting wet, being dropped, having a new app installed on it, a major update, etc.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Upgraded my wife's phone to 5.1 today. It appeared to work. Attempted to change the ring tone. After attempting to change the ring tone the speakers stopped working completely. I have done 3 Factory Resets (which all seem to Factory Reset to 5.1). One at least one of those resets, I put in no Google passwords, so none of the old parameters could be restored. The speakers have not worked. I find, that if I put an ear phone in, then I can hear the sounds, that should come through the speaker, but so far nothing has worked.

Check exterior volume buttons, and also check on the Moto Assist app to make sure you have not put your phone into Silent Mode.

Then, plug the headphones in.

Change the volume in

Settings

Volumes

that is specifically change the ringer volume.

Unplug the headphones reasonably slowly.

That is reported to fix the problem.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Assist does not seem to be set to silent. Why its hard to pull the headphones out reasonably slowly, I have now done that about a half dozen times. What is the next item to try?

Have you tried changing the ringer volume while the headphones are plugged in, and then unplugging the headphones?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
many times now

Then there is some other problem.

I honestly don't know what else to suggest.

Do you know what you were doing with the Moto E, when the speaker quit working, aside from setting the ringtone?

If that was all you were doing, then maybe the ringtone settings should be gone through again, and set (as far as you can tell) back to where they were *before* the problem.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I went through the ring tone settings several times. If I recalled exactly what they were, I'd put them back. I've compared it to another phone of the same model, but no luck so far.

Then I have no further suggestions, and must apologize for not doing more.

I have Opted Out, opening the case to other Experts, and giving you a chance at a second opinion or more suggestions from other Experts in this category, in case there's something I missed. Thank you for your patience, meanwhile.

Expert:  Samuel White replied 3 months ago.

If it works with the ear plugs in there is a off chance there is debris in the ear phone port causing the phone to detect headphones that are not truly present. Condensed air is a great way to blow out debris. Also get a flashlight and look into the port.

Feel free to call me with any question surrounding this issue. I would be glad to help troubleshoot this issue with you!