Vinod Menon, Customer Service
Experience:  Experience in supporting and using smartphones.

My iPhone is giving me fits because I cannot get Apple to

Customer Question

Good morning!
My iPhone is giving me fits because I cannot get Apple to allow me to change my email. I no longer have the account because my internet provider screwed it up. I just want to change my email so I can update my iPhone. Help! Here's the back story, fyi:
My internet provider [Bresnan] was bought by Charter. Charter was supposed to "seamlessly" transition Bresnan customers' emails to Charter, but it didn't work that way for my email account. It's frozen as***@******.*** on my iTunes and Apple, but I haven't had access to that account since the Charter debacle. Therefore, I cannot update my iPhone or get apps.
Category: Smartphones
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

Hi there and welcome Marianne

To clarify, the issue is you cannot purchase an app because you cannot enter in the correct apple id password *****?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Yup. I also cannot update my iPhone without the apple id password. I still know what it is, but Apple has disabled my account, so it won't accept the password. That's because the email does not exist. I just want to give Apple my new email so I can update my iPhone. I was at the Verizon store yesterday and the tech couldn't update my phone because of this situation. He sent me to Apple. . .
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I cannot purchase apps or access my iTunes account. So it all sucks. Suri doesn't function half the time. The list goes on. I'm really pissed at Apple.
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

Ok, in order to use the phone again you need to get it passed with the password, else the phone becomes unusable. They do this for theft reasons

What happens when you try to sign into the Charter account?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
There is no Charter account--that's the problem! It was supposed to automatically roll over from***@******.*** to***@******.*** when Charter bought Bresnan, but that didn't happen. Instead, the whole account crashed. I haven't used it since the Charter purchase because it doesn't exist. My Apple id is***@******.***, but Apple will not allow me to use that so I cannot access anything. I'm on a hotel computer that times out every ten minutes, btw
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

What is the account you registered the Apple with initially?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
is the original Apple ID
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

The only way to get the phone working again is to get this email account functioning. Nothing will automatically roll over, its not possible as there is no way to know from the iPhone that you changed emails, to what ect.

I see does not exist anymore

With who was this email service initially?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Bresnan. Bresnan was purchased by Charter.
Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

ok, but you have to get access to the account to get the iPhone to work again.

What exactly happens now when you try to sign into it here?