Ashik, Smartphone Tech
Experience:  Experience with iPhone and other Smartphones
16433418

I just bought a iPhone 6 and have an iPhone 5. How do I get

Customer Question

I just bought a iPhone 6 and have an iPhone 5. How do I get all of my information to the new iPhone 6?
Category: Smartphones
Expert:  Russell H. replied 9 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Data transfers from old iPhones to new, may be done through iTunes, or through iCloud.

(Which method have you tried, and found to fail? if it failed, also, what was the full and exact error message that showed up, please? these are important details.)

The message about software being too old, may have appeared if you have an old version of, I don't know, editor or text messager or email on your old iPhone, and the data files that go with that old software aren't compatible with the newer types of that software on the new iPhone. It depends upon the exact error message, and the full context e.g. of what data you are trying to move, when the error showed up, how much data got moved, and so forth.

(Note: check whether *some* data, at least, got moved to the new iPhone. If so, which data.)

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I did not try to move data. The "Old Software" scared me off.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have 9.3.2 software on my iPhone 5.

OK.

So where did the 'old software' reference or message come from?

Data files are data files, aside from the limitation I mentioned above. What data file types are you trying to move (aside from universal commonplaces like

- picture files

- text files / Notepad files / that sort of thing

which are universally readable by any software .... ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I downloaded the update from Apple. I want my contacts, photos, texts etc. I backed my iPhone 5 up to my computer.

OK. How did you do the backup to your computer? (That is a first step in some data transfer methods from iPhone old to iPhone newer.) Was it to iTunes perhaps?

(I regret that I am not able to offer Live Phone Call service at this time; However, your request is still open to other Experts in this category, and one of them may pick up on it at any time.)

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Russell, where are you? It has been an hour.

I just replied. At 1:03 local time zone, 6 minutes ago.

Did you back up your old iPhone via iTunes on your computer, please? that's all I need to know.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
message: The backup “Dan McCabe’s iPhone” cannot be restored to this iPhone because the software on the iPhone is too old.To restore this iPhone from this backup, you must first set up the iPhone as new and restore the software to the latest version.

Thanks. How was the backup made?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
From phone to iMac.

I mean... I think I'll give up on this, for my approach is getting nowhere.

I'll stand by my former statement: you can back up via iTunes, and then restore to the newer iPhone from iTunes. Or to iCloud, then from iCloud.

I have Opted Out, with apologies for not making further progress in all this time. I hope the next Expert to take this case makes more progress with it, soon.

Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

We can backup the old iPhone to your computer using iTunes and then restore that backup to your new iPhone.

On your old iPhone, go to Settings > General > Software Update and do all updates.

Now open iTunes on your computer, then onnect the old iPhone to your computer. iTunes will recognize it. Then select your iPhone icon at the upper left, next to Musics, Movies etc icons (or in left side)

This will bring the Summary screen of iPhone. Now, click Backup Now button and make sure "To This Computer" is selected there. This will backup the entire iPhone to your computer.

Then disconnect the old iPhone. Then on your new iPhone, go to Settings > General > Software Update. Do all software updates. This is very important. If you have not already setup the new iPhone 6, then do it. Then connect the new iPhone to your computer and open iTunes. Select your iPhone at top left. Click Update button and do all updates. After that, click Restore Backup button and from the list of backups, select the backup of your old iPhone from the drop down menu. Click Restore.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ashik, I can't get my iPhone 5 to show up on my bar to update it?
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

You don't need to update your iPhone 5, but you must update your iPhone 6.

You mean you can't see your iPhone 5 in iTunes on your Mac ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
no icon for the iPhone 5.
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

That's strange. Can you restart both your iPhone and Mac and check again ?

Also connect the iPhone to different USB port.

Make sure you have latest iTunes installed. Download and install latest itunes on your computer from here --> http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ashik, the restart on both worked. Now what is next?
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

On the new iPhone 6, go to Settings > General > Software Updates and do all the updates.

Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

If you already backed up your old iPhone 5 to your Mac, then lets restore that backup to your new iPhone 6.

On your new iPhone, go to Settings > General > Software Update. Do all software updates. This is very important.

Then connect the new iPhone to your computer and open iTunes. Select your iPhone at top left. Click Update button under Summary and do all updates if any availble. After that, click Restore Backup button under Summary and from the list of backups, select the backup of your old iPhone 5 from the drop down menu. Click Restore.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have no Apple ID.
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

Apple ID would be your email address registered with your iPhone. Why you need Apple ID ? You don't need APple ID to restore backup

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
To get the latest update from the Apple store.
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

Did you restore the backup of iPhone 5 to iPhone 6 ?

Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

On your iPhone 5, go to Settings > iTunes & AppStore and you will see your Apple ID there. It'd be your email address.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No, perhaps I should.
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

You must update the iPhone 6 to latest iOS from Settings > General > Software Update first. Then only you may be able to restore the backup other wise you will get this error " cannot be restored to this iPhone because the software on the iPhone is too old.To restore this iPhone from this backup, you must first set up the iPhone as new and restore the software to the latest version. "

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
This is crazy, it keeps asking me for my Apple ID under settings.
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

Did you find your Apple ID ?

Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

You need the Apple ID to download update. You can find your Apple ID from the old iPhone 5 from Settings > iTunes & App Store. It should be your email address.

Apple ID/iCloud ID would be your email address you registered with your device. If you don't remember your Apple ID, then you can find it from

here --> https://iforgot.apple.com/password/verify/appleid#!&section=appleid

If you don't remember the password, then you have to reset the password. You can reset it from here (goto this website from your computer) --> https://iforgot.apple.com/

Go to the above website. Use the "Get an Email" method to reset the Apple ID. Apple will send the reset instructions to the recovery email you setup with your Apple ID. It would be your email registered with Apple, like Gmail, Yahoo etc. Open your email and you will see the email from Apple. Open it and follow the instructions to reset the password.

If that didn't work, then go tothis site again --> https://iforgot.apple.com/

This time use the "Answer Security Questions" and answer the security questions there to reset your password.Then use it to update your iPhone.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No I tried my new one and my old one. Suggestions?
Apple ID locked.
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

You need to reset the password ***** the Apple ID is locked, so it will be locked. Follow my previous answer to reset the password ***** Apple ID. Once reset it will be unlocked.

Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

How is it going ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'm signing off I have been through guys and no help. Thus no charge.
Expert:  Ashik replied 9 months ago.

The instructions I sent you are 100% correct. You can find the same instructions in here, on official Apple page --> https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT201269

I'm not sure if you are following the instructions correctly or missing any step. The Apple ID part is something I have no control over. You have to reset the password ***** the instructions I sent you to get it unlock.