Richard, Smartphone Specialist
Experience:  Extensive Smartphone Issue Resolvement

Reason I can't access my contacts to use

Customer Question

For some reason I can't access my contacts to use for sending emails. It's like they are greyed out. How can I fix this?
Category: Smartphones
Expert:  ElectronicsPete replied 6 months ago.
Hi Julian,If you haven't already done so, please press and hold the power button to shut down the iPhone, then turn it on again.Let me know if that helps?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I already tried that more than once with no success. Some of the contacts can still be attached to emails (by using the + sign that indicates contacts) while creating a new email, but the majority are greyed out showing they aren't available to select. This has never happened before, and I can find no reason for it.
Ok, I'm going to see if the other experts have any idea on this...
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.
Hi there and welcomeCan you do the following and tell me please if this corrects it.Open the Settings menu.Select the General option.Scroll down and select the Restrictions option.Enter the Restrictions passcode.Scroll down and select the Accounts option under the Allow Changes section.Select the Allow Changes option. Tell me if they are not usable please
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I did as you requested. The Allow Changes selection in Contacts was already selected, so what am I supposed to do now? It hasn't changed anything.
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.
ThanksCan you go please to settings, general, reset, reset all settings.Once done, press the home and power buttons until you see the Apple Logo, release and let the phone restart and tell me if you still have the issue please.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi Richard
Again, I did as you recommended, but it did not fix my problem. Any other thoughts?
Expert:  Richard replied 6 months ago.
If you add a new contact, is that one also greyed out?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yes, it is greyed out. The few contacts that aren't don't seem to be from any specific group or category. Most are family members, but maybe that's because they were entered first? I see no other consistencies. Does that help?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I responded on April 22. See above. Have not received further response since. Still have no answer to my problem.