ElectronicsPete, Engineer
Experience:  Electronic Engineer

If a person is no longer with a company and they had a

Customer Question

If a person is no longer with a company and they had a company paid iPhone and returned it with no problem but they cannot whatsoever recall their Find My iPhone password, does the phone need to be thrown away as decryption is impossible?
Category: Smartphones
Expert:  ElectronicsPete replied 7 months ago.

Hi there,

No, the phone can still be wiped and reset as new, however the information stored on it will be deleted as decryption is impossible.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Attempting to wipe the iPhone in DFU mode, iTunes demands the users credentials.

Ok, if the phone was triggered as lost in Find my iPhone, then it won't activate regardless of what action you take.

If the person did this maliciously then you should demand that they provide the unlock code or pursue them for the loss of the phone.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Find My iPhone was never triggered. It's associated with transferring ownership of an iPhone from person A to person B.

If entering the code for person A or person B doesn't work, then the user cannot unlock it but the phone can still be reset at an Apple store.