Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

Milissa Blackberry Bold 9930 will not power on. Purchased a

Customer Question

Customer: Hello- Milissa Blackberry Bold 9930 will not power on. Purchased a new battery Only use the phone for the memos, need to get them.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The phone won't power on.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Smartphones Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: depends how long, might have to come back after a few hrs of sleep.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Smartphones
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Wanted to add that I have not have service on the phone for about 2yrs. I only use the memos on the device.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 11 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I'm sorry to hear that the device won't power on, but that there is data on it that you need.

First, examine the battery compartment, to see if anything is visibly wrong with the metal terminals that pick voltage off the battery. Then try cleaning the terminals in the battery compartment, after removing the batteries, first by rubbing off with a fresh pencil eraser, then by wiping the terminals off with cotton swabs moistened in rubbing alcohol, then letting them dry off for 5+ minutes with the battery compartment door open, then try turning the device On again.

How old is the Blackberry in question?

Has it been dropped or otherwise subjected to mechanical shock(s) in its lifetime?
Has it been operated in or subjected to, temperatures below 32 degrees F (freezing point) or above about 100 degrees F ?
Has it ever been subjected to a humidity higher than 85 % or gotten wet ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Blackberry is approx 3-4 yrs old. It has not been dropped or exposed to water or temps. It stays in my wk bag since I only use the memos in the blackberry.

You may have a failed battery in the device, that does not deliver enough power any more to allow powering On the device.

Is the charger the type that plugs into the phone? if so, try powering On the device while the charger is attached. If it powers On that way, you definitely have a failed battery in the phone.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I bought a new battery, I said that in the beginning. I have tried the wall charger & the usb on my desk top. Additionally, I tried the eraser & alcohol....still nothing.

Then your Blackberry will, unfortunately, need a trip to a repair shop... hopefully they will get it working without erasing it, and can actually get it working.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Yep, me too! All I need ate my memos, after that they can turn the phone into a puzzle for all I care. 😂

Do you need any advice on where to take the phone? (If so, I don't know where you're located, and being told would help - e.g. by your zip code.)

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sure, that would be helpful. I live in 20724, I found a place (see attached) I was gonna try. Hopefully, u have something better.Thanks

I'm not sure whether you're closer to the Washington D.C. area, or the Baltimore metro area.

What you need is a place that will either make it work without erasing it, or get the data/memos you need off it even if it never works again. I think that making it clear that is what you are looking for and what you expect, before committing to a repair shop, is paramount in this case.

The only thing wrong with what you found is, it doesn't seem to mention RIM or Blackberry devices. Maybe they don't specialize in them, in which case chances of success are slim.

Allan's Repair Bar is in Laurel, but has a poor set of reviews so far. Maybe not the best.

These three are much more highly rated, though they are farther away and in the NW-of-Metropolitan-D.C. area (Gaithersburg/Rockville, pretty much):

Cyberion

3.4 (14) · Cell Phone Store

7000 Arundel Mills Cir #151-A

(###) ###-####/p>

Closed now

Website

Directions

CPR Cell Phone Repair

1 review · Electronics Repair Shop

Electronics repairs & pre-owned devices

9050 Baltimore National Pike #103

(###) ###-####/p>

Closed now

Website

Directions

FixSmarts Cell Phone Repair

4.8 (6) · Cell Phone Store

*****#13(###) ###-####/p>

Closed now

I would inquire with FixSmarts first - once they are once more open. You need specifically Blackberry Bold skills.

Good luck! and please rate my Answer, if you are done with this case. Thanks.