Ashik, Smartphone Tech
Experience:  Experience with iPhone and other Smartphones
16433418

Sort of an emergency! My phone shut off accidentally and now

Customer Question

Sort of an emergency! My phone shut off accidentally and now it is asking for my Touch ID. I can't remember what I changed it to and it won't let me connect to ITunes to reset it. We have no other phone in the house so I am a little concerned.
Category: Smartphones
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

Touch ID is your finger print. But after the restart, it will ask for passcode and then only Touch ID will work. If you don't remember it then unfortunately there is NO way to retrieve that passcode or get back to your phone without the passcode (without erasing it). Your only option is force-restore the iPhone to factory settings through iTunes by putting it to DFU (Device Firmware Upgrade) mode, which will erase everything from it. This is how Apple designed it to protect the information of their users.

But if you had backed up your iPhone to iTunes on your computer or iCloud, then you can restore all your data back after restoring your iPhone from iTunes/iCloud. You can also redownload all your past purchases for free using the same account.

Follow the steps below to restore your iPhone by putting it to DFU Mode.

First download and install latest iTunes on your computer from here (ignore if you already have latest iTunes) : https://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Then connect the iPhone to your computer with the USB Cable.

Open iTunes application on your computer.

On your iPhone press and hold the Home button and the Power button at the same time.

After EXACTLY 8 seconds release the Power button. Continue holding the home button until your iTunes shows a message telling you that it has detected an iPhone in recovery mode.

Click OK or Restore

Note : Put it to DFU Mode while connected to computer and also in DFU Mode your iPhone will remain blank and will be unresponsive. It is normal. If it is not showing blank/black screen, then repeat the steps again. Timing is critical when you put it to DFU Mode. So keep trying until it goes to DFU Mode. And it will take a while to restore it.

Remember, it may take a while to restore the iPhone (the iOS firmware has to be downloaded, you will see the Download button at the top right corner of iTunes screen. Click it to see the time remaining)

Please let me know if that didn't work, so I will continue to help you until we fix the problem

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

If you have iCloud enabled on it and also if your iPhone is connected to WiFi/internet, then you can do the erase from iCloud - so you don't have to go through the restore steps.

On your computer, go to www.icloud.com

Login to your iCloud/Apple account. Click Find My iPhone. Select your iPhone under All Devices. Click Erase button and it will be erased (if it is connected to WiFi network).

If that didn't work, then you have to restore it from iTunes application on your computer. Follow the instructions in my previous answer.

Note : If you want, I can remotely connect to your computer and fix your iPhone myself for you while you watch. This is only an optional additional service. You can accept that remote service if you would like me to fix it for you or if you have any difficulty on following the steps above.

Let me know how it goes.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Hello Melissa, Just checking. How is it going ?