Richard, Smartphone Specialist
Experience:  Extensive Smartphone Issue Resolvement
32989067

How do I get rid of the phantom text message problem on my

Customer Question

How do I get rid of the phantom text message problem on my iPhone. Every time I get a message from one particular contact I can never mark it as being read. Hence I have over 70 unread messages.
Category: Smartphones
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** do not rate until we are finished. I look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. Is this from texts or is it from iMessage? What model iPhone is this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.It's from text messages.It's the iPhone 6.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

If you delete the entire conversation so it comes through as a new one does the same thing happen?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't delete all of the messages as I need them for future reference.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

I will need to opt out and open this to all experts then.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Thanks anyway.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and welcome

Can you hold the power and home buttons on the phone for about 10 seconds until you see the Apple Logo, then release.

Let the phone restart and when it has, tell me if you still have the issue please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've tried that previously.
Move just done it again however and it's still saying I have unread messages for the that one contact. I've gone into them messages it then goes to 2 unread messages.I then come out of that message and it goes back to 72 unread messages.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, the message has become corrupted, you will need to copy the contents of the message and remove it as there is not option with the iPhones for running a repair on this.