Ashik, Smartphone Tech
Experience:  Experience with iPhone and other Smartphones
16433418

Ive connected the iphone 4 to the laptop and did the combo

Customer Question

Hi,Ive connected the iphone 4 to the laptop for itunes and did the combo of pressing and holding home and sleep button the releasing sleep after 8 seconds. It went into DFU mode and itunes prompted me to restore and so I said yes... in recovery mode it started extracting software but when to the end and said the iphone could not be resotred.... What does that mean? Is there another way to restore the iphone 4?
Category: Smartphones
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

There are several reasons for this problem. What is the error code you are getting ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe it was error code 22???
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Are you sure ? Can you do the restore again and tell me the exact errors ?

This time connect it to differnet USB port and do the restore in DFU

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok... may take some time
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

I will send you some instructions now here. Please stay online

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thanks
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your patience. Error 22 is a system error, which is either related to that specific computer only or with the iPhone itself. The error you had received means that iTunes is unable to restore (which means it was unable to install the firmware/iOS software) on it and something interrupted the process. This also happens if there is any issue with the USB. So I want you to do these steps.

So first I want you to restore it from different computer using different USB cable. This will rule out the computer. Restoring from different computer fixes 90% of the issues.

If you don't have another computer, then uninstall iTunes and all Apple components completely from your computer and then reinstall iTunes. Refer this article --> https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204275

Please let me know if that didn't work, so we can continue troubleshooting

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Also if DFU Restore fails, then do a Recovery restore. To put it to Recovery mode, connect it to your computer and press and hold down both Home and Power button until it shows USB cable pointing to iTunes icon. Then restore from iTunes. Unlike DFU Mode the iPhone will not be blank in recovery mode. Timing is not important to put it to Recovery mode. Just hold down both buttons while connected to computer until it shows iTunes and USB cable screen.

Note : iTunes says recovery mode both in DFU or Recovery mode.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it was unknow error 21? just tried it again
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Error 21 is a serious hardware issue which means the hardware component of your iPhone is what causing the problem. This is not a software issue. In some cases this will happens if there is any issue with battery or sensor. I will send you the instructions that you can attempt to fix it, ASAP

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

In some cases connection issues between the USB port and battery can cause this problem. Remove the battery from your iPhone. Wait 2 minutes and then put it back. Make sure there is no dirt or dust inside the phone. Then attempt to restore it. Refer this article --> https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iPhone+4+Battery+Replacement/3141

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Error 21 is an hardware issue, refer this article --> https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT204770

If you have not tried already, then attempt to restore it from different computer. If it doesn't work, then remove the battery, clean the dusts or dirt inside the phone carefully. Make sure you remove the battery sensor cable carefully.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Try to restore it after taking out the battery and putting it back. I've an article where the users have the similar issue --> https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/81953/Why+wont+my+phone+restore,+keep+getting+Error+21

If it doesn't work, then you may need to replace the battery. You can get the battery from eBay or Amazon for like $5

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok ive taken off the back and remove the small screw holding the battery connector. put it back together and turned it on and apple logo appeared followed by the symbol for me to connect to itunes. currently uninstalling then reinstall itunes and go from there... does this sound right?
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Not need to uninstall and reinstall iTunes. But it is OK. After reinstalling, attempt to restore it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
too late uninstalling atm lol
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

It is ok. Let it complete. :)