AnserGuy81
AnserGuy81, Senior Technician
Experience:  Helping Smartphones recover their IQ points for 7 years
19897260

Have iPhone 5s. It's screened locked and have no idea what

Customer Question

Have iPhone 5s. It's screened locked and have no idea what passcode is. Is there a way to download our photos to a computer before doing a complete restore?
Category: Smartphones
Expert:  AnserGuy81 replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

Before the Iphone was screen locked.. Had you connected it to your computer before? Maybe to sync or transfer pictures or music. It doesnt have to be recently, as long as it was the same phone, and the same computer.

Thank you in advance for your response.

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, phone has never been connected to the computer. I found a program that's suppose to be able to download the photos to my computer but can't connect (sync) with the phone because of the screen lock.
Expert:  AnserGuy81 replied 1 year ago.

Has the phone ever been connected to any computer?

Do you know the apple id or icloud account thats used with the phone?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
believe have both. Did confirm nothing has ever been backed up on this phone.
Expert:  AnserGuy81 replied 1 year ago.

Ok.. if you know the icloud account login. Then maybe we dont have to worry about backing up the photos or contacts. They may be saved in icloud already meaning we are free to reset the phone. And then we can reload your pictures and contacts from icloud.

So lets check first to see if that option will work. On a computer, go to this link

https://www.icloud.com/

Sign in using the same exact icloud / apple id address you were using on the phone. when you sign in, click the contacts tab.,. are your contacts showing there?

If so, click the photos tab.. check to see if your photos are there.

If its showing all your photos and contacts then we can safely restore the phone and then reload your data from icloud. So please check the icloud account and let me know if your data is there.

Thank you,

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are photos there but they are recent, within past 2 months. Photos on this phone will be at least year old.
Expert:  AnserGuy81 replied 1 year ago.

Did you change the icloud account a couple of months back?

Also, on the photos page did you look through all the albums / collections.. Or just the main page?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, the 5s phone is her old phone and she never did any backup. Photos want to save is of our kids. I double checked, photos on cloud are from Sept and Oct. of this year.
Expert:  AnserGuy81 replied 1 year ago.

Understood.. And my apologies for the delay in replying, I didnt see your message before my shift ended.. And Ive just now had time to sign into work again and get out a few replies before i turn in for the night.

To be honest, our options are rather slim. Most resolutions to the issue you have involve resetting / resoring the phone, which wipes the data ( pictures )

Obviously we dont want to do that.. When you have time to reply, let me know if at any point her phone was jailbroken.

And also, what IOS version shes running on it, if you know for certain which one it is.. Thank you, ***** ***** night.

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm looking into your questions and will be back in touch later this morning. Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Phone has not been jailbroken. Believe it has IOS version 7.0 but can't confirm since phone is locked.
Expert:  AnserGuy81 replied 1 year ago.

I dont have Ios 7, as I stay current with upgrades. So I cant try this out myself. But if it is Ios 7 on your wifes phone, and its the pictures that we need to save. Then this hack or bypass could save the day.

http://securitywatch.pcmag.com/hacking/316033-how-to-bypass-the-lock-screen-in-apple-s-ios-7

The page includes two videos, and while this wont grant full access to the phone.. It does say that it allows you to share or send photos.. Which so far seems to be the main concern we have as your icloud only has t he last month or two of photos.

Good luck, and let me know if your able to use this technique to send yourself any of the photos that are on the phone.

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked out the web page plus watch he video. Don't have option to slid up to the control center. Plus the passcode requires 6 digits so phone may have higher IOS version.
Expert:  AnserGuy81 replied 1 year ago.

Understood. Unfortunately the tricks ive seen with ios 8 , require the phone to be jailbroken prior to implementing the hacks..

The only other option would be to run photo recovery software.. Such as this http://recoverdeletedphotosfromiphone.aolor.com/#method3

Unfortunately, none of the software I know of works on the newer iphone models.. Some will say they do, but they arent actually recovering deleted photos from the phone.. They recover them from icloud backups or itunes backups.

We already checked icloud so you know whats there. And since you said this phone does not get connected to any computers on a regular basis.. Or at any time within the past several months.. Then, we dont have an itunes backup to work from.

Your only option at this point is to find a computer that the phone has been connected to. Since the photos you want are old..

Then even if the phone was connected to a computer 3-6 months back. It would have made an itunes backup at that time, which would contain all your photos from that point, going back. This is the last option we are down to as to recovering the older photos.

As far as removing the passcode, that can be done but understand once we restore the phone, the only photos or data you will be able to recover is what is showing in icloud.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.