Ashik, Smartphone Tech
Experience:  Experience with iPhone and other Smartphones
16433418

I forgot my 4-digit passcode.

Customer Question

I forgot my 4-digit passcode.
Category: Smartphones
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.

You don't have to drive back to Apple store. I will help you to fix your iPhone.

Unfortunately there is NO way to retrieve that passcode or get back to your phone without the passcode if you forget it. Your only option is to force-restore the iPhone to factory settings through iTunes by putting it to DFU (Device Firmware Upgrade) mode, which will erase everything from it. This is how Apple designed it to protect the information of their users.

But if you've backed up your iPhone to iTunes on your computer or iCloud, then you can restore all your data back after restoring your iPhone from iTunes/iCloud. You can also redownload all your past purchases for free using the same account.

Follow the steps below to restore your iPhone by putting it to DFU Mode.

First download and install latest iTunes on your computer from here : https://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

Then connect the iPhone to your computer with the USB Cable.

Open iTunes application on your computer.

On your iPhone press and hold the Home button and the Power button at the same time.

After EXACTLY 8 seconds release the Power button. Continue holding the home button until your iTunes shows a message telling you that it has detected an iPhone in recovery mode.

Click OK or Restore

Note : Put it to DFU Mode while connected to computer and also in DFU Mode your iPhone will remain blank and will be unresponsive. It is normal. Timing is critical when you put it to DFU Mode. So keep trying until it goes to DFU Mode. And it will take a while to restore it.

Please let me know if that didn't work, so I will continue to help you until we fix the problem.

Remember, this is not my final answer. If my solutions didn't work please don't rate me bad or poor. Instead please reply back to me and I will continue to help you until we fix the problem or you are satisfied.

Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.

Your Apple ID is the email address that you have registered with Apple. If you don't remember it, then you can find your Apple ID from this website --- > https://iforgot.apple.com/appleid

Once you get the Apple ID, reset the password ***** Apple ID from this website--- > https://iforgot.apple.com/

If you have any difficulty on following the steps above, please let me know and I will walk you through it.