Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Engineer
Experience:  25+ Years Experience in Computers and Electronics. Smartphone Expert.
23511658

I have an At&t iphone and I just purchased a AT&T Unite

Customer Question

I have an At&t iphone and I just purchased a AT&T Unite Hotspot. Best Buy (seller) sold me the device and then sent me a pin and a number to call for activation of a Go-Phone. I do not have a Go Phone. I signed up for 1.5 Gig monthly service. What do I need to do to get this to work. The Geek squad does not know diddly.
Category: Smartphones
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is***** can help you with your question.

Did you already have AT&T service? It sounds like you do on your iPhone. If that's the case, then you would want to have AT&T add the hotspot to your account. If the device that you purchased is not able to be activated on your AT&T account, then I would return it. There are 2 different types of cellular networks – GSM and CDMA. They are not compatible with each other so a given device may not necessarily be compatible with your network provider. Very few devices work on both networks. You should be able to find out this from AT&T by dialing 611 on your iPhone. Then, you should be able to provide them with the model number and they can tell you whether or not it can be activated on your account. I'm assuming that's what you would like to do ultimately. If you are just trying to keep the hotspot as a separate device on a separate account, then you could activated with any carrier - go phone is an AT&T product, so the device itself should be compatible. However, if you activated with go phone service that will be completely separate from your existing AT&T account. There is really no drawback to that if you are using it as a hotspot because the data quota will be entirely separate from your regular phone.