Michael
Michael, Technician
Experience:  Over 25 years experience in the field of electronics repair, TV, VCR and computer repair.
11519491

Josh, my iphone 5 got wet with salt water yesterday. I dried it off

Customer Question

hi josh, my iphone 5 got wet with salt water yesterday. I dried it off, and submerged it in dry rice overnight, and this morning when i plugged it in to try to turn it on, it asked to be plugged into itunes. The Itunes went to recovery mode and is asking to restore iphone. I dont want to lose my picture. What should I do?
Category: Smartphones
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have successfully restored my iphone on my own. You may keep the five dollars deposit, but do not charge me the full $18, as you were of no assistance to me in this matter.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.
Good morning, UuGgg! I know the feeling!The water caused a short circuit in the memory portion of the main electronics board.This means it cant find the rest of its operating system. It could be due to more moisture still in the phone. So I would try a couple more day in INSTANT dry rice.That may work. If not then the water that got in there caused memory failure. SO the system would have to be restored and you would lose all your personal data.I wish I had better news for you I really do.But try as I suggested because this process usually takes between 3 and 7 days to fully remove the moisture.Also if you can remove your battery before doing this.I will stick with you until we have the working as it should hopefully with the memory in tact;-)Please rate my service to you kindly at this time, that way you wont lose me and you can then contact me anytime for additional information at no cost, also, there is no additional cost to rate;-)Thank youTech Michael