Ashik, Smartphone Tech
Experience:  Experience with iPhone and other Smartphones
16433418

I want to do a hard reset of my phone but don't want to lose

Customer Question

I want to do a hard reset of my phone but don't want to lose my contacts - in addition I don't want all the phone backed up - hence the reset
can you help
Category: Smartphones
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi and Welcome. My Name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today with your question.
So do you want to backup the contacts only and then do a factory reset of your iPhone ? Do you use iCloud ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
help
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
The are several ways to accomplish this.
If you are using iCloud, then go to Settings > iCloud and turn on Contacts. If asked to merge or erase, then tap Merge. This will backup the contacts to iCloud.
If it already turned on, then the contacts are already being backed up to iCloud.
Then to hard reset, go to Settings > General > Reset and tap Erase All Contents and Settings. This will erase everything from the iPhone. Then follow the onscreen instructions to setup it. While being in the setup assistant, make sure to select 'Setup it as new iPhone' and this will setup it as a new iPhone instead of restoring from backup. Then after setting up, all you have to do is sign in to your iCloud account and all your contacts will be synced back.
There is another way to backup your contacts only. Before reset download and install the application named My Contacts Backup from App Store --> https://itunes.apple.com/in/app/my-contacts-backup/id446784593?mt=8
Open My Contacts Backup and it will load your contacts. Then backup the contacts. This will allow you to email all the contacts in a single file format called vCard. So email the backup to your email address. You can import this vCard file to any applications like iCloud, Mail, Outlook, Gmail etc
After backing up the contacts, factory reset or hard reset your iPhone. Then email the vCard file back to your iPhone and open it. This will reimport the contacts to your iPhone.
Third option is by using iTunes application on your computer.
Download and install latest iTunes on your computer from here --> https://www.apple.com/itunes/download/
Connect the iPhone to your computer and open iTunes. In iTunes, select your iPhone in the top left. Then click on Info option under Summary. In there, enable "Sync Contacts" option and select the application you want the iPhone to be synced (like Windows Contacts, Outlook etc). If asked to merge or erase, select Merge.
Then click on Summary option and click Restore. This will restore your iPhone to factory settings.
After restoring, you can setup it as new iPhone and re-sync the contacts (not restore the backup).
If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.
If you have any difficulty on following the steps above, please let me know and I'm happy to continue to help you.
Expert:  Ashik replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,
It's me Ashik again. It has been a few days, so I am just checking in with you to see if you still need help. I want you to be happy with the service I am providing, so if we still need to work on this let me know.
If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them.
If you are satisfied with my service, please rate me Positively as Good or Excellent (4 or 5 stars).
Thanks and Have a great day,