Richard, Smartphone Specialist
Experience:  Extensive Smartphone Issue Resolvement
32989067

Ive just updated to 7.1 Blackberry Desktop software. The «Folder

I've just updated to 7.1 Blackberry Desktop software. The «Folder» tab under Advanced Synchronisation in order to Configure synchronization of a secondary collection of organizer data is not available ... HELP.
I cannot risk a synchronisation before ensuring that the proper folders are mapped.
When I upgraded to v7.0, this caused many problems because the proper associated folders (contacts, calendar, etc.) had been modified during upgrade.
Thx for your help

Tony Haddad
Category: Smartphones
Expert:  Gina-Mod replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Best,

Gina~Moderator
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Gina

Thanx for the prompt reply.

Please do continue your research. This issue must be resolved ASAP.

Please keep me posted as you go along finding the solution or resource to assist in resolving.

Thx

Tony

Expert:  Gina-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello Tony:

Thank you for your continued patience. We will continue the search for a professional for you.

Best,

Gina~Moderator
Expert:  Michelle-Mod replied 1 year ago.

I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a professional to assist you. Do you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you like for us to close your question at this time?

Thank you for your patience,

Michelle

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tony,

I am very sorry about the wait.

Have you backed up the phone first? Before synchronising?

Please let me know

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Richie,

Yes a back was taken just prior to the upgrade process.

As mentioned, I have not synchronized yet, because past problems in similar situation, following un upgrade from v6.x to v7.0

Still waiting for your help !

Thx !

Tony

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Tony.

You should normally not have issues with upgrades, and I do not get many issues coming here.

You also do have a backup in the event you have a problem.

So you are well covered.

But you can do a Factory Reset of the phone to see if this corrects the missing folder.

Make sure your backup is ok (do a restore from it to test)

Then with the phone connected to the computer, in Blackberry Desktop Manager, click on the Help button labeled with a question mark, then move the mouse over Support resources, and then click on Support tools

Click Factory Reset and let it run.

Once complete, check if the folder is now there please and let me know.

Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Richie !

Well, ran down the complete suggested process, including updating software version on my device (BBy) and nothing has changed. «Ability to map or view mapped folders in desktop software in order to synchronize proper folders (calendar, contact, etc.) still isn't available.

The inital upgrade also erased some of the settings on y device, ie.: «Text / Message on Home Screen when locked»

Any other suggestions/solutions ?

Thx !

Tony

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Did you complete the Factory reset Tony?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Completed the whole process, and it's at the end of that process that I was notified that à newer/more recent build of the device software was available, fron v1646 to 2108

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
and you installed this correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Install was very lengthy. Took a little over 2 hours, Patching OS, Patching Java, Linking JAva, etc... and no error message.

``Installation successfully completed``

I restored my data following the process.

If you think, Richie, it could more convenient, give me a call or send me a phone No. where I can call you.

Thx !

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
I am not allowed to call sorry Tony, it is against policy.

So you cannot at all now synch any contacts?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My issue Richie is to map and view mapped folders to where I have to synch my data (calendar, contacts, etc.) in Outlook, and not just take any folder by default.

Following my upgrade, I have not yet synchronized due to the fact that I cannot validate these folders. I definitely do not want data from my device going to the inappropriate folder in Outlook..

In teh prior versin, I was able to map the necessary folders. Now, although user guide states that these can be performed, the realted tabs to map are unavailable.

I will not synchronize till I'm assured that my data goes to the appropraite folders in Outlook.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, can we make a backup of your outlook data, then do the Synchronization?

Then if there are problems, we can restore the backup.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will try to synch from Outlook to device only, Contacts and see how the process reacts. This way, I can restore Contacts from my back this morning before the upgrade and the «factory setting restore»

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes, it can also be done this way

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Richie,

Sorry for the delay ... 24 hrs later.

Did got through the whole trial 'n error process of synchronization.

Calendar, tasks & notes are fine,

Unable to synchronize contacts.

....«default is no longer available as a service, and cannot be synchronized.»

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No problem on the delay.

Do you have your contacts in a CSV file?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, why ?

Everything else synch correctly directly in Outlook.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
I wanted to first load them via the Blackberry Desktop Manager, by importing a CSV file.

Can we do this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I would have to export them from Outlook, first to a CSV file ?

there are 2665 contacts.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Yes please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, not familiar with this process, Rich.

Can you guide me threw the export process, please ?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Of course.

Which version of Outlook is it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Outlook 2010

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks

Click the File tab.
Click Options.
Click Advanced.
Under Export, click Export.
In the Import and Export Wizard, click Export to a file, and then click Next.
Under Create a file of type, click the type of export that you want, and then click Next.

Choose CSV

Under Select folder to export from, select the contact folder that you want to export, and then click Next.

Under Save exported file as, click Browse, select a destination folder, and in the File name box, type a name for the file.

Click OK.
In the Export to a File dialog box, click Next.
Click Finish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Done !!!

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
thanks!

You have the latest blackberry desktop manager installed correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

V7.1.0.41

Released March 7, 2013 (bundle 42)

That's the one that's caused all this hastle !!!

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, can you import the CSV file into the Blackberry within the Desktop Manager please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Once again, can you guide me threw the process...Please, Rich ?

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Of course,

I have a step by step guide for you HERE

Please let me know how you go.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry Rich, but the guide is for Desktop Manager 6.0 and not at all suitable for v7.0/7.1

Nothing resembles the walk threw described.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, and you do not see the import function?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Rich,

No there doesn't seem to be any more import function in Desktop Manager v7.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, then this is not going to be possible.

and if you import your Contacts into Gmail (can you create one if you do not have one please) and follow the instructions here to import

Click Me

Then follow thee instructions here to import from Google Contacts to your Blackberry

Click Me

If you have any difficulties at all, please do not hesitate to let me know so I can assist you further

Thank you

Richard, Smartphone Specialist
Experience: Extensive Smartphone Issue Resolvement
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Rich,

Well at last, I have finally been able to perform a complete synchronization process about 10 min ago. However, the road has been tough.

The conversion and import to Gmail, never worked. Unable to save/convert to CSV file format. Don't ask me why, but after 7-8 tries, I gave up !!!

Thx for you help !

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Good to hear!

As they say, persistence pays off :)

If you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Already donne....Rich !

Thx once again.