ITTechChris
ITTechChris, Technician
Experience:  6+ years of professional experience as a IT Technician
63401584

My iPhone suddenly wont record audio with video - but the

My iPhone suddenly won't record audio with video - but the audio playback works with previously recorded videos. All other sounds are also working. The phone hasn't sustained damage of any kind. I re-booted the phone and made sure that nothing is covering the microphone (there's no case/shell).

Any idea why this is happening - and how to fix it?
Category: Smartphones
Expert:  Randy replied 1 year ago.
Hi!
I will assist you. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to providing you with the best answer possible. Did you try this, Hold the Power button and the Home button down at the same time until the Apple logo appears, then release the buttons and allow your iPhone to reboot,
then check to see if it is working.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Still not working!

Expert:  Randy replied 1 year ago.

Okay, do you have iTunes on your computer?

What is the approximate purchase date of the iPhone?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Never use/probably don't have iTunes on my computer - but my husband has iTunes on his. Phone is at least a few years old - so I assume no warranty.

Are you saying it can't be fixed (at least by me)? Could this have anything to do with setting changes of some kind? What would cause this to happen, especially when playback on previous videos is normal?

Expert:  Randy replied 1 year ago.

I believe that it is a software issue, and a reload of the operating system will correct the problem, however there is no guarantee that the restore will fix it but it will let you know if it is software or hardware. If the restore does not correct the problem then it will be an internal hardware failure. The restore process will restore the iPhone to factory defaults and settings.
You can connect the iPhone to your husbands iTunes and back up your data and then restore and update your software. Be sure that you choose your iPhone name during the back up and restore process to keep from loading your husbands data and contacts onto your iPhone. If that happens you will lose your contacts. It will work fine as long as you choose your iPhone name.
>PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR INSTRUCTIONS<

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My phone is currently indicating that I have a software update available - but when I click on 'Download and Install,'nothing happens. Could this update be a possible fix for the audio - or is the phone's failure to download the update (the download button is frozen, won't click) another symptom of the same problem?

Expert:  Randy replied 1 year ago.
The update will restore the operating system, it is safer to do it through iTunes after you back up your data. If you are trying it now with the iPhone it will need to be connected to wi fi.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When I tried to video something a few minutes ago, nothing happened when I touched the record button. I had to re-boot twice before it would work (still no audio).

Any idea what would cause a sudden software issue? Just random?

I guess I'll try the iTunes suggestion - and will let you know if it works.

Thanks, Randy.

Expert:  Randy replied 1 year ago.
If this turns out to be a software issue it will just be a glitch in the iPhones software, no real cause if you haven't loaded any new apps recently, and is probably long overdue for an update. Try the update and restore and let me know if you have any questions.Laughing
Expert:  ITTechChris replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'd like to welcome you to Just Answer and Pearl.

I'm Chris, a Technician in Computers and Electronics.

You will need to verify that the microphone is working for phone calls and etc. If it is not, I highly advise getting the microphone tested.

If you list your iPhone model and I will give you further instructions if needed.

Please remember to rate.

Hi again,

I am following up with your question to see how you are doing.

Do you need anymore help?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry! I didn't forget about you; there was a problem with my account that was just resolved.

The updates didn't fix the audio problem (in fact, it caused some new problems). I spoke to a tech at Apple, who says I should back up all of my information, and do a full reset. I haven't done it yet, but will check back and let you know if it works.

Thanks....

Thank you for following up.

To advise you on that back up, all you will need to do is hookup the iPhone to iTunes, there will be a message you can 'Backup', from there you can back it up and restore it. After you restore it, you can restore the back up.

Let me know how it goes.
ITTechChris, Technician
Experience: 6+ years of professional experience as a IT Technician