ITTechChris
ITTechChris, Technician
Experience:  6+ years of professional experience as a IT Technician
63401584

iPhone 4 Has No Sound While Recording Video

My iPhone suddenly won't record audio with video - but the audio playback works with previously recorded videos. All other sounds are also working. The phone hasn't sustained damage of any kind. I re-booted the phone and made sure that nothing is covering the microphone (there's no case/shell). Any idea why this is happening - and how to fix it?

Category: Smartphones
Expert:  Randy replied 2 years ago.

Hi! I will assist you. I look forward to providing you with the best answer possible. Did you try this - Hold the Power button and Home button down at the same time until the Apple logo appears, then release the buttons and allow your iPhone to reboot and then check to see if its working?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have tried this, and it is still not working.

Expert:  Randy replied 2 years ago.

Okay, do you have iTunes on your computer?

What is the approximate purchase date of the iPhone?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Never use/probably don't have iTunes on my computer - but my husband has iTunes on his. The phone is at least a few years old - so I assume there is no warranty.

Are you saying it can't be fixed (at least by me)? Could this have anything to do with setting changes of some kind? What would cause this to happen, especially when playback on previous videos are normal?

Expert:  Randy replied 2 years ago.

I believe that it is a software issue, and a reload of the operating system will correct the problem. However, there is no guarantee that the restore will fix it, but it will let you know if it is software or hardware. If the restore does not correct the problem, then it will be an internal hardware failure. The restore process will restore the iPhone to factory defaults and settings.

You can connect the iPhone to your husband's iTunes and back up your data, then restore and update your software. Be sure that you choose your iPhone name during the backup and restore process to keep from loading your husband's data and contacts onto your iPhone. If that happens, you will lose your contacts. It will work fine as long as you choose your iPhones name.

>PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR INSTRUCTIONS<

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My phone is currently indicating that I have a software update available - but when I click on 'Download and Install' - nothing happens. Could this update be a possible fix for the audio - or is the phone's failure to download the update (the download button is frozen, and won't click) another symptom of the same problem?

Expert:  Randy replied 2 years ago.

The update will restore the operating system; it is safer to do it through iTunes after you back up your data. If you are trying it now with the iPhone it will need to be connected to WiFi.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

When I tried to video something a few minutes ago, nothing appeared when I touched the record button. I had to re-boot twice before it would work (but there is still no audio).

Any idea what would cause a sudden software issue? Is this just a random issue?

I guess I'll try the iTunes suggestions - and will let you know if it works.

Expert:  Randy replied 2 years ago.

If this turns out to be a software issue, it will be just a glitch in the iPhones software, no real cause if you haven't loaded any new applications recently, and it is probably long overdue for an update. Try the update and restore and let me know if you have any more questions.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The updates didn't fix the audio problem (in fact, it cause some new problems). I spoke to a tech at Apple, who says I should back up all of my information, and do a full reset. I haven't done it yet, but will check back and let you know if it works.

Expert:  ITTechChris replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for following up.

To advise you on that back up, all you will need to do is hookup the iPhone to iTunes, there will be a message you can 'Backup', from there you can back it up and restore it. After you restore it, you can restore the back up.

Let me know how it goes.
ITTechChris, Technician
Experience: 6+ years of professional experience as a IT Technician