Nick H.
Nick H., Phones Specialist
Experience:  SmartPhones Specialist
63271161

Why wont my phone let people hear me when I call them? I can

Customer Question

Why won't my phone let people hear me when I call them? I can hear them, but they can't hear me.
Category: Smartphones
Expert:  MCVGreg replied 3 years ago.
Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

May I ask the Make & Model Number of the phone system you are working with?

May I also ask what phone service provider you have for this phone line?

Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have an IPhone 4 and I'm with AT&T.

Expert:  MCVGreg replied 3 years ago.
Hi again & thanks for that information.

If this is an issue with your iPhone, then I will request that your question be moved to the appropriate category.

Can you please CONFIRM that the issue is with the iPhone?

Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, the issue is with my IPhone.

Expert:  MCVGreg replied 3 years ago.
OK - thanks for that information.

I will request that your question be moved, after I open it up for other experts to help you in that area. There is nothing you have to do on your end, as you should get a note when another expert picks up.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX
Expert:  Nick H. replied 3 years ago.
Hi and welcome,

My name isXXXXX will assist you with your Phone issues.

When did you first have this problem?

Was the phone dropped?

If you turn speaker phone on, can the other person hear you? You can use another phone to call your iphone and test.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I started having this problem on Saturday night. I usually drop my phone every now and then, but I haven't dropped it in a while. It was working that night then I called someone else and it wasn't working. I tried turning the speaker on and they still can't hear me.

Expert:  Nick H. replied 3 years ago.
Thanks so much for your info.

Please do a quick reset on your iphone and then try to test again.

HOLD the Power (on/off) button and Home (round button with white square) button for 10-12 seconds. Ignore the Turn off message and release the buttons when you see the white apple logo. Let your device boots. Now test to see if the issue is resolved or still the same.

Please let me know how it went. If does not work, we will continue to work to resolve this issue.

Thank you!

Nick
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It worked for a minute then it stopped. It's still not fixed.

Expert:  Nick H. replied 3 years ago.
Thanks.

Have you backed up your iphone to a computer?

If not, please backup your iphone to iTunes on a computer. Then do the following reset:

1. On your iphone, go to Settings.
  2. Select General
  3. Select Reset (all the way at the bottom of this list)
  4. Select Reset all settings. (1st choice)
  5. Your phone will reboot and prompt for wifi setup and other services setup.
  6. Test your issue again with another phone.

Please let me know how it went. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi. I just reset my phone and called someone. It still didn't work...

Expert:  Nick H. replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your update.

The next step we need to do is to backup your phone. Restore your phone to Factory Settings and then restore the backup. Test your issue.

Here are the steps:

First connect your iphone to PC. open iTunes. You will see your iphone on the left hand side under Devices. RIGHT CLICK on your iphone and select Backup.

After the Backup is done, select your iphone again and select Restore. This will restore your iphone to factory settings. After done with restore, RIGHT CLICK on your iphone and select Restore from backup and select the Backup that you just did and click Restore.

Please let me know how it went.

Thank you!

Nick

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm restoring my phone now. I'll let you know if it worked.

Expert:  Nick H. replied 3 years ago.
Thanks. Hope to hear back from you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It did not work...

Expert:  Nick H. replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your update.

This could be an issue with the microphone on the phone. Where and when did you purchase your phone?

If less than a year, you can get your iphone repaired by Apple.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I took it to the Apple store last night and it's been over a year. They told me it would be $150 to replace it. The guy "reset/ restored" or erased my stuff and it worked, but then I back up my phone to my old stuff and the problem came back. Do I restore my phone again "as new phone" and will it erase all my data on my phone? I don't want to lose all my messages and contacts...

Expert:  Nick H. replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your update.

What we should do now is to uninstall any apps that are not important. Shutdown and turn your phone back on. Test your issue again.
Nick H., Phones Specialist
Experience: SmartPhones Specialist
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

None of my apps were restored when the guy from the Apple store erased everything off of my phone. I'll try turning it off and restarting it though.

Expert:  Nick H. replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your rating!

Regarding your phone, it was working when it was reset back to Factory Settings. When your data is restored, you will get that issue back. That means your apps or data is causing this issue.

What we are trying to determine is which apps or settings caused this issue. So the best way is to uninstall the not important apps first. Restart and test your phone. Then you can uninstall each app one by one and test.

We should be able to narrow down which app or which settings caused this issue.

Please let me know if you have any questions. Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi there. Sorry it's been a while. I tried deleting all the apps off of my phone and it still doesn't work.

Expert:  Nick H. replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your update.

Please backup your phone to iTunes. Connect your phone to computer. Open iTunes. Right click on iphone on the left panel and select Backup.

When done, please disconnect your phone. Now reset your phone to Factory Settings. On your iphone, go to Settings->General->Reset->Erase all contents and settings (2nd option). Your iphone will reset and reboot. Setup as a new phone. Do not restore. Now try to call your friends. Or use another phone to call your phone. See if the other phone will hear you.