nalosin
nalosin, Smartphone Support Specialist
Experience:  7+ years in troubleshooting and supporting computers, networks, cell phones and other electronic devices.

Im trying to do a backup and restore of my iPhone 4s using

I'm trying to do a backup and restore of my iPhone 4s using iTunes. I connect my iPhone to my Mac, find it listed on the left-hand column in iTunes, wait until it automatically syncs, then right-click on the name of the phone, choose backup, wait for it to backup, right-click again, choose restore from backup, and choose the backup I've just made. After a few seconds I get an error message saying there's not enough free space on my iPhone to restore. I have 23 gigs of space available on the iPhone. I've just upgraded the iPhone ios to version 6; this problem has been occurring over the last few days, both before and after the ios update.

The reason I'm trying to do this backup and restore is because AT&T has unlocked my iPhone (for use with a non-AT&T sim card), but says I must complete this procedure in order for the unlock to be completed.
Category: Smartphones
Expert:  nalosin replied 1 year ago.

nalosin :

Hello

nalosin :

and welcome to JustAnswer.com

nalosin :

I will do my best to help with your question

nalosin :

What you actually have to do to unlock the phone

nalosin :

is to open iTunes and select your phone to the left under Devices

nalosin :

then to the right you will have

nalosin :

Check for Updates and Restore button

nalosin :

you have to click on Restore button there

nalosin :

Phone will revert to original settings and you will get notification that your phone is unlocked

nalosin :

then you have to Restore from your backup

nalosin :

Please try this procedure please and let me know how it goes

Customer:

Sounds good. Working on it.

nalosin :

Let me know how it goes and if you have any questions please write here

Customer:

Transferring purchases to iTunes before Restore, as prompted by iTunes.

nalosin :

Ok.

nalosin :

Keep me updated

Customer:

Now downloading ios 6 to iTunes (the upgrade I did previously, of course, was direct from the cloud).

nalosin :

Ok.

nalosin :

iTunes needs to download it as it's different as iCloud

nalosin :

I will wait here until we resolve the problem

Customer:

So far so good: I got the message, "Congratulations, your iPhone has been unlocked"!

Restore in progress.

Customer:

Shows remaining time at 16 minutes.

nalosin :

Ok. Great

nalosin :

Everything went good, just for Restore to complete

nalosin :

and you should be good to go. Keep me updated

Customer:

Restore completed but apps missing. Found that "Sync Apps" option was unchecked in iTunes. Syncing apps now.

nalosin :

Ok.

nalosin :

In case that you miss any app that your previously bought, you can just re-download it without any charge

Customer:

This is going to take a while. Looks like I'm fine. If there's some problem with the restore that I haven't seen yet, is there a way to check back with you.

nalosin :

Yes, you can always bookmark this page (add to favorites)

nalosin :

and open it in case you have any questions

nalosin :

Also you will receive this chat page link to your email address and can open it from there

Customer:

Great job! Thanks for your help!

nalosin, Smartphone Support Specialist
Experience: 7+ years in troubleshooting and supporting computers, networks, cell phones and other electronic devices.