Vinod Menon, Customer Service
Experience:  Experience in supporting and using smartphones.
51110040

just updated my iphone and ive lost everything, apps contacts

just updated my iphone and ive lost everything, apps contacts msgs etc. how do i get them all bck?

Sorry to hear that you lost all your contents after the update...:(

We can get all the apps back, but retrieving the contacts and messages depends on whether you have a backup in the computer. Usually, before the update, the computer will save a backup. If that is still available, we have the chance of getting your lost items.

Let's check that first. Open itunes in the computer. There, click on Edit menu at the top (where it shows file, edit, view etc).

Click on Edit > Preferences > Devices.

Is there an older backup listed prior to the time you updated?

Thank You
Vinod
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

there is only one from when i just plugged the phone back into the computer then. ive previously tried to get info from google and installed an iphone backup finder which says i have data stored in a file but i cant find it how you have just mentioned

Sorry Daniel, unfortunately, the chances of retrieving the lost contacts and messages is very low since you don't have a different backup listed there.

Let's give a try anyway. Open itunes in the computer and connect the iphone. Your iphone name would now be listed to the left side of the itunes, below "devices".

RIGHT click on it and select "restore from backup"

Now select an older backup, if listed.

Let's see whether this works.

You can always redownload the apps for free. This document will help you with that

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2519

Let me know if you find any difficulty.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

how can it backup and store everything when you plug it into a computer but then you cant upload that stored information back into the iphone? surely all the info has to be in my computer somewhere??

There is only one backup, unfortunately.

When you sync the phone, the older backup will automatically be overwritten by the newer backup. We don't have any control over that. It is quite strange that Apple has not given us an opportunity to have multiple backups.

What would have happened is, some unexpected things would have happened during the update and that has deleted your backup and overwritten by another backup.

Do you have those contacts and messages saved somewhere else? May be in Outlook or in a different iphone, perhaps?